LINKSYS WRT54G

I don't have my Ethernet/wan cables scrambled. In my original post, I stated everything had been working fine for 2 years. Then, all of a sudden, wireless does not work. I have not moved or rearranged any of the wiring on the back of the router.

Also, I have not added any "interference" to my network. The only potential problem I see is when I run Net Stumbler, there is a new network in my neighborhood with a strong signal on the same channel as my network. So, I changed my network channel to 8. There are 3 networks in my area on default channel 11.

Is anyone aware of any firmware bugs/issues? I noticed Richard2 is having pretty much the same problem as me. I wonder if he is my neighbor?!?!

Thanks

Robin

Reply to
Billy Bob
Loading thread data ...

I'm sorry this doesn't really answer your problem but what is Net Stumbler? I googled it but got a site that didn't seem to offer a program which would enable one to find out where the other networks are and what channel(s) they're using. It sounds like a great utility but I can't find it.

Louise

Reply to
louise

First of all, other APs on the same channel _ARE_ new sources of interference. Second, there are only three non-overlapping channels,

1,6, and 11, try choosing one that has no other networks (though AFAICT NetStumbler doesn't see networks with broadcast disabled).
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Nobody said you did - Jeff said that wrt Richard's post.

Please don't start new threads and expect people to recognize your "original post".

Use channel 1 or 6 (channel 8 will just guarantee that you get interference from both channel 11 and channel 6), or ask your neighbors to lower the transmit power on their routers (wanna bet somebody thinks they can improve coverage in their home by boosting the signal strength?)

Reply to
Derek Broughton

The very first hit on "netstumbler" is the website you want. I suspect you were typing in two words...

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

found it - neat utility.

I've no use for them but I am surprised to discover that out of 8 networks available, three had no encryption in place and two had standard names like linksys. This is a medium size apt. building in Manhattan.

Louise

Reply to
louise

However, just because it says it has no encryption doesn't mean that you'll be able to connect or that there's in fact no encryption. It just means that the Access Point isn't configured with typically WEP/WPA/LEAP/WPA2 or whatever. There are other ways of offering security.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm surprised that over 60 percent _had_ encryption, probably 75% of the ones I've seen are "out of the box" defaults.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

So why do you want your own linksys, just use you neighbor's ;)

Reply to
Philip

signals aren't strong enough :-)

Louise

Reply to
louise

To introduce "reasonable doubt".

"But judge I thought I *was* connecting to mine until I noticed that the ethernet cable had falled out of the back..."

Reply to
David Taylor

That's not hard to fix!

Reply to
David Taylor

I think Best Buy and Circuit City are sometimes in the 'networking' section of the store suggesting people be sure and change the defaults when they get home.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.