reset access point belkin

Is your router's IP address in the same subnet as the access point? Try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 if it is currently 255.255.255.0. That way, if the router is at 192.168.1.x and the access point is at

192.168.2.254 and your computer is at 192.168.2.y (or 192.168.1.y) the access point's IP address should still be considered to be part of the LAN.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer
Loading thread data ...

Well, you said that you put your computer into the same subnet; you did not say anything about the router. If your router/gateway, computer and access point are all in the same subnet, they should be able to see each other.

As for the reset, perhaps try again. If you reset the access point to its factory defaults, everything should change to those. I think that Linksys has a program for locating its access points on networks, I'm not sure about Belkin. You can try connecting to your access point wirelessly and running "arp -a" but I'm not sure if its hardware address will resolve to an IP address.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

It looks like your access point is at the proper IP address.

What is your computer's IP address, subnet and gateway set to? You subnet should be 255.255.255.0 if your IP address starts with 192.168.2. Your gateway should be set to 192.168.2.1. What kind of gateway/router are you using?

Not all devices will respond to ping but the gateway should.

I assume that your current network allows you to access the internet?

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

In the current configuration, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, everything sent from 192.168.0.x that is intended for 192.168.2.254 will be sent to the gateway and the gateway should send it to the ADSL router (not to the LAN). The access point will thus be unreachable but will still function properly as an access point.

If you connect your laptop directly to the access point with a crossover cable and manually assign your laptop an IP address like 192.168.2.128 then it should be able to connect (you may have to reboot the laptop for the IP address change to take effect). However, you mentioned that you were not able to connect through http. Does ping work in this configuration? If you cannot connect then I would say that something is wrong with the built-in web server. Try the factory reset procedure again by holding the reset button for at least 5 seconds while turning on the unit.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

Hi all, I have got a Belkin F57130 access point. I did a reset to restore factory settings, but after I did it I can't access anymore to the web-based settings interface.

Notice that:

- there are two reset modes, one to simply restart, the other one to restore factory settings, the latter is the one I used;

- I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I switched my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP, but without success;

the strange fact is that the other settings are still the one modified by me, even after the hard reset. At the moment, I'm using this wireless link with the AP, the essid is the one i set before reset: only the AP's ip isn't the same, nor the factory default one. My question is: is it possibile that I reset only the IP and not the other settings ?

How can I access settings web-based interface now ? Are there other ways to reset it more completely ?

thanks in advance,

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

yes, it is.. I said that even in my first post :)

have you got any other idea ? Thanks for your reply.

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

Sure, my router, my computer and my access point are all into the same subnet. I also tried to connect directly with a cross cable the AP and the pc, then put the ethernet PC's interface on the same of AP's default (192.168.2.x), but I can't access it.

I thought that too. In fact, isn't it weird that has been "reset" only the ip, but not the essid ?

nope, it resolves only the address of another pc connected to the lan.

Thank you again,

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

Yves Konigshofer wrote: [CUT]

UPDATE: arp -a shows me those info:

how can I use them ? a ping to those 2 ips doesn't give any reply. Neither any kind of http connection, of course.

root@nelson:# arp -a ? (192.168.2.1) at on eth1 ? (192.168.2.254) at on eth1

it seems there is something wrong..

Thanks,

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

The AP obviously did not fully reset to the factory defaults. Either you did not hold the reset button long enough (at least five seconds) or the AP is defective.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Some settings are strangely still set after the reset (yes, I press it for 5 seconds, even more sometimes.. I tried to reset a lot of times today.) But the AP isn't accessible at the ip I set in past, neither the default factory IP (192.168.2.254).

So, how's possible that some settings have changed, and other have not ?

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

this is the lan configuration:

------------- [GATEWAY] -------------- [SWITCH] | 10.0.0.1 (eth0) | | [ADSL router] 192.168.0.1 (eth1) [AP] [LAPTOP] 10.0.0.138 ? 192.168.0.1 (eth0) 192.168.2.100 (wlan)

all netmask are 255.255.255.0. The gateway is a PC with a linux box. I can ping the gateway from the laptop, but i can't find the AP's IP.

Yes. I can access the internet from laptop even using wired lan, either wireless. The AP works correctly, but I can't access its configuration or reset it completely.

Thanks again,

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

nope, no reply from ping, even if I connect directly the laptop and AP.

already tried. I think the reset key/procedure is broken or something similar. I hold down the reset button for at least 5 seconds, the leds blink as reported in the manual, but after resetting procedure, I still get wireless signal with the essid set before reset, and not the default one. So I think that the reset button doesn't work properly. Even because I can't access in any way the http interface of the AP, although it should be reset.

Could be an hardware issue ? Sound strange, because the AP works. The only problem is accessing into it.

Thanks,

-- Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.