D-LINK DWL G700AP reset problem

Hi,

My DWL G700AP (from now on 'AP') , is working properly by months. Now I need to update configuration and , surprise for me, the web interface is no more available !!! I can ping it but web server seems to be done. So I tried to reset the AP (keep hold reset button for 10 sec +) but nothing happens ! The AP continues working as usual (i.e. MAC address filter, WAP etc) and still no web configuration page . I read somewhere that the web server can crash very easily (GET\\n\\n), but has to restore to default setting ... I hope !

Anyone with same problems ??

Please Help.

PS: Saddly, D-Link support gave me no support at all. dlink.com support forwarded to dlink.it but still no response from them (sigh).

Reply to
nda
Loading thread data ...

Do it for 30 seconds... 10 is iffy, 30 is pretty sure... make sure the lights all flash

Reply to
Peter Pan

"nda" hath wroth:

The web page:

formatting link
10 seconds. 10 seconds isn't long enough. Try about 20-30 seconds. After it has had time to reboot after the reset, pull the power plug, wait about 15 seconds, and then plug it back in.

If the web interface is no longer available, something else is wrong. A hard reset is a good start at fixing the problem, but it could be many other things. One stupid problem is that the internal web servers sometimes demand a trailing "/" on the URL as in: http://192.168.0.50/Also, try to ping the AP at 192.168.0.50 as see if it's alive. If it is alive, check your client IP address settings, your web browser security settings, flush the browser cache, or just try it again from a different machine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff, Thanks for your reply. I'll try to follow strictly the procedure that you decribed. I think something similar I had already tried (i.e keep reset button pushed for more than 20 sec and unplugging ), but with no effect. As for pinging, while device is working , I can ping it . After reset ( push reset button for 20-30 sec) the device doesn't ping anymore, so I had to unplug and plug again the power supply, and It restores normal functions but non factory default.

Anyway I'll follow your procedure , and I'll report you the results.

Thanks NDA

Reply to
nda

Hi again Jeff,

I tried the the procedure you courtesly suggest me , but it doesn't work. When the device boots I see the wlan led blinking after about 15 sec from start, and the I can ping it. When I hold down the reset button (at leat 30 sec) and then relase it, the device stops pinging but no wlan led is blinking, so I think it doesn't reboot but it simply crashes !! When I plug off and on again the Ap restart working as before!!! I tried the trailing / and on three different machines....

Really sad about it ! (: Two things I thought to be sure in life.

1) Once a day every one should die. 2) At any time I could reset my device by simply hold down a button.

Now, I'm hopeful for the first one too !!!

Any suggestion is well appreciated.

NDA

Reply to
nda

Not Jeff but I have some suggestions.. Under warranty? Take it back.. Got a boat? Use it as an anchor...

Save barber bills from tearing your hair out, and get a working one....

Reply to
Peter Pan

"nda" hath wroth:

So much for my perfect score. I can't seem to fix anything the last few days.

Lovely. You might be right. One nasty problem with all these devices is that the firmware sometimes reprograms itself. Basically, the flash memory gets trashed. The result is some parts work while others do not. I'm not sure if you do it successfully without the password (probably not), but think about trying to reflash the firmware.

OK, it's not the browser. That happens but not this time.

You have a very limited warranty on both your life and the products you buy. Both can become defective, and the creator or vendor refuse to support your life or products.

Sorry, I don't have any better ideas.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff and 'Peter Pan',

thanks for the help.

Yes, warranty is already valid, I think I'll send it back (sigh!).

As last chance I'll try to reflash the firmware. I found some funny procedure to bypass D-LINK device boot and make It crash in order to get a firmware recovery request, but not for AP (it was a router). I hope something similar could be done for the AP too ... I'm going to goggle for it.

Unfortunately I've got no boat, but there is a large garbage can near my home .... I can use it !!

Thanks again NDA

Reply to
nda

If it's under warranty, then just send it back, don't aggravate yourself further... With a holiday coming up, take a vacation.... i seem to remember a saying about "don't beat a dead horse".. if you substitute the dlink for horse, it may apply....

Use it as an anchor for the garbage can (ie wire it to the handle).. Scratch that, you said it's under warranty, so send it back and take a vacation... When you get back from vacation, it will hopefully be back, and work just fine

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thank for the suggestion, I surely do that... but italian d-link support isn't very responsive, and is useless at all. On my first query about reset, they replied with 'keep reset button hold for 10 sec' ( very usefull, yeahh). My second query (dealing about a possible hardware failure) is pending from 3 days! Now, I'll try contacting then by phone.

NDA

Reply to
nda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.