Push a home page when a customer connects to my wireless network

When a customer walks into my client's store and connects to the wireless network I want the first web page they see to be store's home page.

When the customer opens his web browser I want the store's web page to come up.

But when the customer leaves the store I want his home page to be what it was before he came in.

How do I do this?

I'm a computer tech guy and I haven't been able to find this. Please help!

Reply to
Matt Porter
Loading thread data ...

FWIW, on our open access WiFi system, a stranger accessing any URL's root will be redirected to our internal web server (the border router does port forwarding); any URL beyond a root address is returned '404', but with some work and the right web proxy software these too could be redirected. After the stranger authenticates as an IPSec VPN client, the tunneled connection passes http traffic in the normal fashion.

Of course, after tearing down the VPN connection, the stranger's browser will work as it did before.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

It's called setting up a hotspot. Do some searches on it. You'll need a router that supports being configured to use one.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Look at the "captive portal" feature of pfSense, it will deny all access to the gateway until the user logs in, which can be as simple as a button (without username or password), a HTTP/HTTPS authentication, various forms of VPN, or whatever else you'd like to add as the base is just BSD.

You can't override the "Home" button on the browser.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

As already said, what you are looking for is a "captive portal".

formatting link
A CP will re-direct the first http request to anywhere you like. From there, you can do whatever you want -- such as make the connectee agree to a disclaimer before going further. (I'm assuming you want it freely open.)

A CP has many other features as well, such as content filtering.

There are many CP software packages out there. Many are Linux based, free, and open source. I have used ZoneCD for several years and really like it. It can be run of a headless computer with just a CD drive and two ethernet cards. Whether ZoneCD is the best out there is subjective, but it is the CP that I'm most familiar with. It is Linux based and free.

formatting link

Reply to
ericm0009

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com fired this volley in news:b0f1ed96-698e-46df-89c5- snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

based,

I have ZoneCD, although I haven't implemented it yet. Having gone over the docs, it's obvious it would work for me, except that I have a physical limitation on where I can place computers. Cost isn't the problem; the problem is that it's illegal and dangerous to put any powered device inside the buildings I want to associate with hotspots.

Do you know of one that will run in an inexpensive AP? I'd like to do similar to the OP, but with multiple hotspots along a row of buildings, using weatherproof APs and a POE backbone; about 100' apart along a straight line.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

HotSpots, if you have DD-WRT v24:

DD-WRT also as URL redirection and splash page:

(Note: It now works in v24 SP1)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A captive portal doesn't need to run on the AP itself, it can run upstream, just as long as it sits between the client and the ultimate destination (the internet connection?) somewhere in the network path.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

DevilsPGD fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, no... DIFFERENT redirection pages for each hotspot.

("You're now in the game room" "You're now at the pool" etc.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes, but the same applies, you'd just need some way to carry that information out to the AP. Using APs that support VLANs would be the easiest method, although I can think of others.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Reply to
JPElectron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.