Holding on to a dynamic IP address

I have have a cable internet connection, and the subscription I have is only for a dynamic IP address. I have a hardware router for my network, and I was wondering if using the router is a good way to "hold on" to a dynamic IP address so that it can be like a static IP address? I've noticed that my router has had the same WAN address provided by my cable provider for over two months since I rebooted the router.

Using a router seems like a sure way to keep a dynamic address, since the router is always on. The only downsides I can think of are cable or power outages...

Reply to
Sm704
Loading thread data ...

If you have a router set up properly why would you need a static IP address ?

Your computers inside the router are all on local IP addresses using DHCP from the router, so there is no need for a static IP unless you are trying to run a server.

Reply to
$Bill

That's exactly why I am trying to do, run a web server... I don't want to subscribe to the service that offers static IP addresses...

Reply to
Sm704

I leave my system on all the time, so I seldom see a new IP. Most dynamic IPs are reassigned only if you allow your lease to lapse for quite some time. Keeping the modem and router on should prevent this from happening only if the router requests a new lease. I believe that is done by the computer.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

There are other reasons to need a static IP, such as wanting to allow FTP access, or VPN.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

You do know that most cable companies, and some DSL suppliers prohibit running servers....

Reply to
Ron Hunter

You "own" an IP address for the duration of the DHCP lease. With my ISP, the lease period is (IIRC) seven days. As long as you continue to renew the lease, your IP shouldn't change (yes, I know of some stupid ISPs that force a change). My IP is virtually static, unchanging, unless some physical change, requires a new IP. Also, with some ISPs, including mine, the host name is consistent, so even if the IP changes, the host name will still give the current address..

Reply to
James Knott

He might want to access his system from elsewhere. It then helps, to know the IP.

Reply to
James Knott

There are ways to handle that with a dynamic address as previously reported. If you have a website on the internet, you can also use that to supply access to the current dynamic IP address in addition to the method stated.

Reply to
$Bill

Can still be done with a dynamic IP. Also you may have trouble running a server depending on what your ISP will allow (as already stated).

Reply to
$Bill

Go to

formatting link
and get an account there, it will allow you to point a url at your IP. You /may/ need to run a client on your PC (or you router may have one built in) so that your account gets updated if your dynamic IP changes. You will also need to have your server on a fixed IP and forward the relevant ports through the router to that IP.

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

prohibit

I'm only planning on running a web server that serves only html documents. I wont be serving any large files at all. I don't see why my ISP would disapprove of that...

Reply to
Sm704

doesnt matter why, only if they do or not.

Reply to
Giles Harney

Many ISPs provide web space.

Reply to
James Knott

If you use up significant bandwidth, then other users on your node will begin to complain about slow access, and then the cable company will become interested. If usage is minimal, they probably will neither notice, nor care.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Read your terms of service agreement. If it says that you may not run a server, then the ISP disapproves and it doesn't really matter what you think.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I assume he's capped at 256Kb or 512Kb, so it really wouldn't matter to his neighbors now - would it ?

Reply to
$Bill

The man is allowed 256Kb (for example) upload bandwidth - why should that bother any his neighbors if he's using most of it ?

He could use that much upload during heavy dowload usage just in request/reponse blocks and the like - not including any content.

His server can't be *busy* by definition - he doesn't have the bandwidth.

Reply to
$Bill

I wasn't arguing with the AUP, just the rationale for it. There should be enough bandwidth for every user to use a good chunk of their 256Kb and it shouldn't matter how. But that's my opinion and I don't think that's why the ISPs don't allow servers - they have reasons besides bandwidth. Everyone should be able to get theirs without impacting anyone else - nothing sad about that.

Reply to
$Bill

Cable internet systems are designed to give reasonable response, with typical home usage. Running a busy server means someone is using more than others, of a shared resource.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.