Need help setting up SPA-2002

I have been having problems trying to setup a VOIP system under the following conditions:

1. My ISP is Southbell, I am suscribed to their DSL which uses PPPoE
2, I am using a Westell C90 modem configured in the "briged Internet" mode.
  1. My Router is Linksys WRT54GS
  2. My ATA is a brand new SPA-2002

For three days now I have been working with my VOIP provider technicians trying to get the system to work. They have supplied all the information that is normally required to connect to their server but they have finally admitted that they are not familiar with the SPA-2002, Up to date, we have been unable to register the ATA with their server. The end result is I have reached a dead end.

Here's what Sipura has to say (quote):

"...The adapter does not have a pppoe option for connection, therefore the adapter does not connect to the internet. You can use the router to ensure that the adapter connects to the internet. But you need to open the ports mentioned in my previous e-mail. Use this for reference: "

"If you have a firewall, make sure you are not blocking the UDP PORT

5060,5061 and port for UDP packets in the range of 16384-16482. You will also need to disable "SPI" if there is such function in your firewall. Depending on the SIP server that you are going to register to, If it supports NAT, then you can use "Outbound Proxy" configuration of the SPA to connect to it. Otherwise, SPA also supports STUN protocol. (see "SIP" tab config from web GUI) Please note that STUN will not work if you have a symmetric NAT. If you enable the debug through syslog, and set "STUN test" to yes, SPA will print information about whether or not you have a symmetric NAT."

Being an absulute novice in this field, it is hard for me to implement Sipura's recommendation specially since (to me) they are kind of vague and do not refer specifically to the Router that I'm using.

Is there someone that can give me some advise and/or guidance on this matter considering the setup that I have? I would most certainly appreciate it. Thanks and best regards,

Art

Reply to
artlab
Loading thread data ...

For starters, you have them in the wrong order! ISP==MODEM==ATA==ROUTER==PC is the only order you should have.

Not Too Helpful!

They are letting you use the wrong order IF you create a DMZ - which is so bloody complicated, AND may not in fact work.

ANd (with your order) IN your Router too!

Depending on the SIP server that you are going to register to, If

What service did you have before?

See, the SPA-2002 does NAT translation itself!

Change the order and try again.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

information

Reply to
artlab

How could that possibly work if his modem is in bridge mode and the ATA doesn't do PPPoE?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

My ATA has two ethernet ports, so it may be that the SPA only works in a DMZ.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

OK, we all agree that Rick's suggestionit will not work. Now, how about telling me something which WILL work????

information

Reply to
artlab
[snip]

Will not work unless the ATA has a WAN port as well as a LAN port. The SPA-2002 does not. It is specifically designed to sit behind an existing router. My Sipura 2000 works perfectly behind my router, there is no reason the 2002 (an upgrade/replacement for the 2000) shouldn't as well.

Also, try finding a modem without an inbuilt router these days. Excepting cable modems of course.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

ISP==MODEM====ROUTER==PC = ATA

Reply to
v

Right, so your WRT54GS is making the PPPoE connections, right? That is, when you try using a PC behind it you get connected to the internet, right? If that's not working you've got trouble independent of the Sipura.

Which basically means, tell the WRT54GS to pass traffic on those ports inward to the Sipura. Under the 'Applications and Gaming' setup page on your WRT54GS you should be able to set up these ports. The important thing is you'll need to have an IP address setup on the Sipura. It's probably best to setup that address as a static IP, not as DHCP. The WRT54 handles serving out IP addresses and that's fine for most PCs and such. But for a 'always connected' sort of device you really want to consider setting it up as static. First check the WRT54 and see what ranges it's giving out. Choose another IP address in that same subnet but NOT part of that range and setup the Sipura using it. As in, the router serves out 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.50 (an example). Choose another address like 192.168.1.88 and put that into the Sipura (how is another question, I don't have a Sipura).

Once you have the Sipura setup for that static address you'll use that to setup the Ports to forward in the WRT54 'apps and games' setup page. Got that?

Try the above steps and see what success you have. Once you configure the router to pass the right ports into the Sipura then everything should work.

And the other guy's post about putting the sipura in front of the router is dead wrong in your case. Since your ISP uses PPPoE you have to have a device that can make a 'call' to the ISP and make the connection. The Sipura cannot do this.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Bill: Thanks for your reply. The information you provide is exactly the type of advise that I need.

First of all, I feel I should clarify that I have no problem whatsoever with the modem->router->PC setup that I described, which has been working perfectly for the last year or so. When I said that I was having problems with getting "the system" to work, I was referring specifically to the VOIP system and the addition of the ATA to the setup and not to anything else.

Also, since we are getting into port forwarding, etc. I feel that I should also clarify something which MIGHT have some incidence on the problem with the ATA. Back during the time that I was setting up my Linksys router, I ran into the problem that I could not access my PC's VPN server (behind the router) remotely from my laptop in another location. After running through a process, similar to the present one, that is, obtaining help from knowledgeable persons such as yourself, I was advised that I should use port forwarding to setup a PPtP tunnel. This required that the server be assigned a static IP address. Ports 47 and 1723 had to be forwarded in the router. After this was done, the problem was that, since Bellsouth does not provide a static I.D., the WAN address, required by the VPN client, changed every so often. This was finally solved by employing a DDNS service, namely DynDNS.ORG

I will certainly try out your recommendations and will let you know the results. Thanks and best regards,

Art

Reply to
artlab

Bill: I did everything that you suggested and I'm sorry to say that still my ATA cannot register with the VOIP provider. I'm beginning to think that the problem might reside at the provider's end. My question to you then is: Is there a "free" provider that I can use with the only purpose of testing my setup? I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. Best regards,

Art

Reply to
artlab

There's Free World Dialup

formatting link
If you hunt around the site you'll find detailed instructions for configuring a number of SIP devices including the Sipura SPAs.

Unfortunately it has been my experience that it's often easier to get things working with FWD than with other providers. So once you get that working, your troubles may not be over.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

For services such as VPNs and VoIP it really does become quite difficult without having an external static IP address. This is precisely the reason NOT to use an ISP that only offers PPPoE services. Unless they offer static addressing (usually for a fee). Check if you can get a genuine static IP from them, if not switch to an ISP that can. I've used speakeasy for years and they've been quite reliable. Let me know if you want a referral number.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

with the router between you and the system, the ATA cannot do QoS (quality of service; in other ATA that pass through the ethernet they can throttle back the other service to maintain latency and throughput for the phone connection)

Therefore you need to be sure to use 'switches' (not just routers) because the switch can put the ATA on a network of its own, and subsequent switches also maintain that.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I don't think this makes much sense. 99% of the time, the choke point is the upstream connection, not the local network.

Also, a switch gives you an ethernet segment, not a network.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

tHE IDEA is that the segment(s) can be given priority. The QOS control is required to keep the sound good, even if your neighbor is doing a large file transfer.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The router doesn't know anything about the segments created by the switch. If your neighbor is doing a large file transfer that clogs your outbound link, it's not going to matter whether you have a gigabit switch or an old vacuum tube 10-base-T hub.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Art, Try setting the Linksys temporarily to allow a DMZ on the IP addy that the Sipura is sitting on.

I've got the same router, but have a Cisco ATA. Just recently I had to do some reconfiguration so the ATA and the PC wound-up with each other's original ip addys. The PC came up no prob, but not the ATA. Releasing the DHCP client ip in the Linksys for the ATA and getting new still didn't let the ATA connect. It kept trying. As soon as I setup it's IP address as a DMZ, it fired right up. When I looked at the outbound log file in the Linksys [you need the new Aug. '05 firmware for that] , you could see that it got it's new profile--it uses tftp to do that. Once it's up and running, you can remove the DMZ and it'll continue working--at least mine has for 2 years. I never had to leave DMZ on.

Zeng

Reply to
Zeng

While technically there's merit, the conditions on the ground make it unlikely to matter. You assume the ISP will have their act together on QoS. At this point in time that's not looking all that good.

But by the time you bother with the expense to purchase such things and burn the hours configuring them you'll get nowhere if the ISP doesn't have it's act together and MOST do NOT. Think about it, using PPPoE ain't exactly conducive to QoS integration.

And, finally, the equipment in question here doesn't even HAVE the necessary ports to make it happen. So while you're grasping at a concept of technically slim merit, it won't do jack-shit to help answer the actual question.

Reply to
wkearney99

That's exactly why you should not have the router between the ATA and the cable modem. The cable modem uses time slots so that your neighbor's use does not impact your bandwidth. MY ATA does passthrough and maintains perfect sound quality at all times.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.