Strange wireless speed issue

I have a client who has a PC connected via a Netgear wireless USB adapter. She complained of really slow Internet. For some strange reason, even with an excellent signal it cannot achieve more than at best 300kps download speed. I ran this test with Speakeasy.net's Speedtest. It had worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. At the same time this is happening her laptop in the same spot in the room is achieving an average of 3.5mps on its wireless adapter. I figured maybe its her Netgear adapter itself thats bad so I connected my Dlink USB adapter that I keep handy to the PC in place of the Netgear and the wireless connection was now similar to the laptop at 3.5mps. I switched backand forth between the Netgear and the Dlink a few times to see if it was consistent and the speed would always be around

3.5mps with my Dlink but with the Netgear consistently was around the same 300kps. So logically I diagnosed it as a bad adapter and told her to get another one. Even told her to get a Dlink since mine worked fine. She just called me today and told me she got the Dlink and installed it but she is having the same problem, around 300kps. What the hell else can be causing this? Why the heck did it work consistently with my Dlink? Not sure what else it could be. Hope you guys can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance, Adam

Reply to
20vtguy
Loading thread data ...

If you want instant gratification, give her your Dlink USB adapter. You can then see how her new adapter works on your machine. If it doesn't give you satisfaction you can return it for something else.

Reply to
curly Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.