Poor Wirless Reception in Dorm Room

Hello,

I am running a mac mini in my dorm room at university and my reception to the university wireless is crap (internal wifi card macintosh) or just falls out completley.

I tried getting a belkin wireless adaptor (connects to my mac mini via internet). But when I went to the device's internal webpage it seemed to want information on the universities wireless router. I tried to put the ip addresses in the same range, etc... but in the end the two systems did not want to shake hands.

It may be partially due to the fact that the university wireless router forces the user to go to their logon page when you first start up your wireless connection to the system.

Anyway. I returned the product. I am just looking for something like my internal wireless card but instead a wireless adaptor (ethernet or usb) with a better antenna. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Bert

Reply to
bertwistle
Loading thread data ...

Call university computer support. They likely have a pretty strict policy on what they'll let you connect to the network. Work with them. Otherwise your attempts to add things may end up making it WORSE for the available wireless nearby.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Normally, I would agree with you. I'm at a university dorm in Spain and I do not speak Spanish or Catalan. I tried to speak with university IT once on the phone and it was hopeless.

I was thinking of a usb wireless adaptor with a good antenna. I don't want to add to the network but want to improve my Tx/Rx.

Cheers,

Bert

Bill Kearney wrote:

Reply to
bertwistle

Ah, good point.

Yes, then a USB dongle is probably a cheap/easy way to try improving it. Get a 15' cable (the max for USB) so you can reposition it better. Or get a hub and TWO 15' cables and put the hub in-between. This way you might also be able to leave the USB device mounted in the room to keep you from having to do it over and over again.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On 13 Oct 2006 07:06:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

No Spanish-speaking buddy to help you? Really?

Hawking HWU8DD

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.