NTL & WIRELESS CONNECTION

Hi, I have only recently just changed over to NTL broadband and would like to set up a wieless connection for my laptop. My laptop is WI-FI enabled and was working fine wirelessly through my original BT connection. Obviously NTL have supplied me with a modem so could some kind person tell me can/how do I set up my laptop and my Bt Voyager

2100 wireless ADSL. At the moment my laptop works fine through the Ethernet cable but I regularly work out in the garden shed so a wireless connection is a bonus. The laptop is the only computer in the house which runs of the modem. What I really need to know is what cable goes where and into the back of what !!! Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
richardsutton
Loading thread data ...

First - do something about posting your email address!

I'm guessing you need a new WiFi AP/router, as yours is an all in one ADSL unit. I'm on ntl and use a Linksys WRT54G AP/router and this works superbly.

Reply to
__spc__

"__spc__" wrote in news:8Rhdf.1771$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net:

i.e. munge it to avoid spammers picking it out.

Spot on. As the ADSL modem has an Ethernet interface, you can add a wireless router (non-ADSL) to achieve what is wanted.

Pick a known brand name e.g. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link.

Make sure you set up WPA-PSK security on the wireless LAN, to avoid piggybackers and hackers.

Reply to
Jenny Talyor

Jenny,

Many thanks for the information.

regards Richard

Reply to
richardsutton

Nope. Spammers are still around and quite active. See:

formatting link
formatting link
a list of the most active spammers. The list has hardly changed in the last few years with only the addition of phishers and Nigerians as the major change. To convince the public that the governments are actually doing something against spam, a few get prosecuted:
formatting link
What has changed is that virus and spam filtering techniques have improved and become more prevalent at both the ISP and the desktop. They're far from perfect, but have drastically reduced the amount of spam that is being propagated and seen.

I've been using my various real email addresses since the stone age of the internet. I also have a few email addresses that are rarely used for anything beyond testing and emergencies (when the mail servers are down). After filtering, the amount of spam received by the public and private addresses are about the same.

Mangling email addresses is also totally useless as methinks the major source of valid email addresses is NOT from harvesting usenet, blogs, or whois data. It comes directly from the ISP via dubious sources. It only takes one employee that wants some extra cash to sell a cdrom full of their customer names and email addresses. For example, I setup a new sbcglobal.net account for a DSL customer and was greeted with spam within about an hour. As the signup web pages were SSL encrypted, the source could only have been within SBC or Yahoo.

To me, address mangling is like hiding under a rock.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not terribly important, actually -- I get very little spam on addresses I use for Usenet postings.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news:GpJdf.92714$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Certainly used to be a problem a year or two ago. Maybe now Usenet users are more wary, the spammers have largely given up trawling groups.

Reply to
Joe King

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.