No wireless connection

I can't connect to wireless the internet any more since yesterday (I cannot think why, I've done nothing special). With a cable from a port of the router to the notebook (LAN) it works.

I'm running Windows XP on a notebook, and when I search for available networks, none is found ("no network available"). The router (Linksys WRTG 54) is OK, as I can connect wireless with my desktop pc. The SSID signal is broadcasted, and found on the desktop, but not on the notebook.

Is there anyone who knows a possible reason for it ?

Thanks, Pol

Reply to
Pol
Loading thread data ...

You didn't say what kind of notebook, but my Dell Latitude has a function-key combo that disables wireless. While trying frantically one night to get it to reboot I inadvertently hit that combo without realizing it. It caused a similar error message to yours. I'm running Vista on that laptop...

Reply to
The Walrus

"Pol" hath wroth:

Sure. Are you using WEP encryption? If so, use the Hex encryption instead of the ASCII (text) key.

However, if you can't see the SSID on the notebook, there's probably something worng there. Since you didn't bother to supply the maker and model number of the notebook, I can't supply specific hardware instructions. Check the Device Manager and make sure that the wireless device is enabled. Many laptops have a switch buried somewhere that turns the wireless on and off. Others have a combination to turn the wireless off. Some have both. In addition, the wireless can be turned off with the applet in the system tray, the properties for the device in the control panel, and various

3rd party connection managers.

Incidentally, it's a WRT54G and there are about 6 differerent hardware versions. It's not necessary for this question, but in the future, please include the harward version (see serial number tag on bottom) and if possible, the firmware version.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks both of you, and sorry for my stupidity ! It's my daughters notebook, and there is a function key (Fn + F2) to disable / enable the wireless LAN ! I asked her for the manual and everything works fine now. Thanks again, Pol

Reply to
Pol

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.