range extender that does not need to be set up on main computer

Wondering if there is a range extender that does not need to be set up to work?What i mean is one that just needs to be pluged into the power else where in the house and it will extend any signal it finds?

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

"Dave" hath wroth:

That exists with some range extenders. The undocumented trick is to set the SSID=ANY. That tells the repeater to repeat literally anything. However, be careful, or you might get what you wish for. Repeating everything is generally a bad idea as you end up repeating all kinds of junk that isn't directed to your client computer. Garbage in, nothing out, more like a jammer.

I don't have a list of range extenders that this works on. It did work on some ancient prototypes I tinkered with about 7 years ago. No clue on current models. My guess is that it's been written out of the code and no longer works. I haven't tried it in years.

There were also a nasty bug when using SSID=ANY in WZC with XP SP1, but it was fixed in SP2.

So, what are you trying to accomplish? If it's within your house, you might want to look into phone line, power line, or CATV networking:

Power Line networking:

Phone line networking:

CATV coax sharing:

(sorta, maybe)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.