connect to network but no intrnet share

D-link

apreciated.

So did you run the Network Wizard for Internet connection sharing on the main pc? It should create a floppy that you load on the laptop while running the wizard on it. This should bridge your main pcs wireless card to the USB connection.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

SP2 has a built in firewall, and it blocks communication with many devices. The default is to block. In some circumstances you have to make changes/exceptions if you have some other than a stand alone system.

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have a desktop pc running win XP home service pack 2, connected to Wanadoo

1mb adsl via a speedtouch 330 usb modem. It has an internal Ralink RT2500 Wireless Lan Adapter. I have set my internet connection to be shared on the desktop pc. On my notebook ihave win xp professional service pack 1, with a D-link Airplus DWL-650+ in the pcmia slot. I have followed the instruction on the microsoft webpage for setting up an adhoc network. I get a connect to wireless network with signal strength very good. but cannot access the internet on the notebook. any help greatly apreciated.
Reply to
Richard Himlin

"Richard Himlin" wrote in news:cr6iv6$1o5$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

You may have some kind of configuration issue that's preventing the machine from getting an IP form the DHCP server on the gateway machine. This would be indicated to you if you go to the Command Prompt on the client machine and enter IPconfig /all to see if the machine has an IP. The machine may not have one or the IP starts with 169 indicating that the machine couldn't get an IP from a DHCP server and timed out.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Richard Himlin

Reply to
Richard Himlin

"Richard Himlin" wrote in news:crulfs$f9i$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

What kind of router it is makes no difference because the all provide the following basic functionality:

1) Provides a gateway for all machines connected to it to the Internet 2) Provides a gateway for LAN and allows ICS for all machines connected to it on the LAN. 3) Stops unsolicited scans and attacks from the Internet from reaching the machines behind the router.

Well, never use the Wizard to make two XP machine share resources and undo whatever they have done.

You can do the following on the machines to see if this helps:

1) Put both machines in the same Workgroup name like name it Richard or something 2) The services and protocols should be the following on all NIC(s) and remove everything else: a) Client for MS networks b) File and Print Sharing for MS networks c) Internet protocol TCP/IP 4) Drop any personal FW(s) on the machine and then figure out how to open the Windows networking ports on the FW(s). You should drop the FW(s) until you have networking working. 5) Try networking with wire connection before proceeding to wireless.

The link may help you.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

My Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router that I was using as a wire/wireless AP went out and I am looking to connect something to connect into my Watchguard FW appliance. I am looking at doing the same with the Hotbrick wireless that looks to have true FW capabilities in case the WG goes down.

I say get the bang for the pound or buck.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.