No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

Hello,

No Internet Dilemma!

Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights with his new home networking setup. All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable modem.

So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g Wireless 4-Port Cable Router

formatting link
So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic due to Windows Vistas unreliability we finally reolised that the router wasnt picking up an internet connection from it cable modem.

Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

Hope to hear from you all soon

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
danisgod
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

The router does not "pickup" anything from the cable modem. The modem is a bridge and is transparent to IP addresses. The modem get it's information from the CMTS (cable modem terminal system), which will deliver all kinds of nifty things to the cable modem including an IP address for the router.

You can also connect to the SB4200 at 192.168.100.1 and check the status page. Got a connection?

Can Vista connect to the router and look at the status page? If so, does it have a routeable IP address from your cable ISP? If not, check the WAN settings in the router. You may also have to "clone" the MAC address of the workstation in order to authenticate.

The usual problem is that Vista has changed the way DHCP works. See:

This is only a problem if your Vista machine cannot connect to your router and see the web based config. I believe there is also a firmware update on the Motorola web pile to fix this, but I'm too lazy to check.

When you get that fixed, this may also bite you:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your response, Ill keep you up to date on what happens on my 2nd attempts.

The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.

I have considered a number of things since last night on what the matter could be

1. Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet via only your MAC address.
  2. MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work when I tried lastnight

After that im all out of ideas

Reply to
danisgod

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I don't think so. I did some quick Googling and digging on the Virgin Media web pile:

and could find no references to authenticating the clients MAC address. They do authenticate the cable modem's MAC address, but that's not changing here.

I still don't have a clear description of what's failing to function. All I know is that you mentioned:

which is rather vague.

Some questions to ask your friend (or yourself):

1. Is the cable modem connecting? Plug a computer directly into the SB4200. Set it up for an IP address of 192.168.100.25. Point the browser to http://192.168.100.1 and check the status page.
  2. Does the router pickup an IP address? Put the computer back to normal DHCP assigned IP's and run a CAT5 cable to one of the LAN ports on the router. Can you connect to the web configuration thing inside the router? If not, see the Vista DHCP problems I previously mentioned. If yes, what does the router status page show? You should have a routeable IP address, gateway, netmask, and DNS servers from Virgin Media.
  3. If you have the previous items working, then you should be able to browse the internet. Can you?
  4. Once you can browse the internet, setup the wireless and get it working. Don't bother with wireless unless you're on the internet.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Silly idea, but you'd be surprised how many people are impatient and won't do it... Turn EVERYTHING off. Turn on the cable modem wait a minute or so and THEN turn on the wap/router wait a few more minutes and THEN turn on the PC(s).....

Hey, it's free, and probably solves 90% of the problems you describe..... Unfortunately, that also happens after the power gliches/goes off, and things all usually turn on at the same time.. So if it starts working, the same problem will happen again if the power fails...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.