Theoretical speed on DELL Inspiron 8600 with a wireless 1350 WLAN Mini PCI?

Recycled from an earlier posting. The 108 and 54mbits/sec are the connection speeds before protocol overhead. With an 802.11g only

54Mbit/sec connection, you'll get about 25-30Mbits/sec. What are you getting and how are you measuring it?

I keep getting asked "how fast can it go" type questions. Perhaps some numbers might help. This is stolen from an Atheros PDF at:

formatting link
some additions and corrections by me.

Non-overlapping Modulation Max Max Max Channels ------- | Link TCP UDP | | | | |

802.11b 3 CCK 11 5.9 7.1 802.11g (with 802.11b) 3 OFDM/CCK 54 14.4 19.5 802.11g only 3 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11g turbo 1 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8 802.11a 13 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11a turbo 6 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8

The paper claims that encryption is enabled for these calculations, but my numbers seem to indicate that these number are for encryption disabled. Dunno for sure. The Max TCP and Max UDP are the theoretical maximum thruput rates.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a Dell D600 with the 1350 WLAN Mini PCI card and a Netgear WGT624

108Mbs router - v. similar setup.

True - Dell do supply a number of different cards ranging from their own Mini PCI cards to versions on the Intel's ProWireless cards. Which card you go for depends on whether you want a 'brandname' like Intel and also which wireless standard you want.

The available cards support b, a/b, b/g or a/b/g wireless standards. Basically pick one of the available cards that matches the wireless standard the router has and decide if you want a Dell branded card or an Intel Branded card.

Short answer to this is No. Even if the built in WLAN card and your router supported 108Mbs you won't ever get 108Mbs speed. The speed if a theoretical maximum that measures the raw data speed of the link and does not take into account the possibility of signal loss, errors and the like which cause information, i.e. data packets, to be re-transmitted therfore ultimately limiting the speed of the link.

The highest speed I can get is around 36Mbs which I consider to be very good, especially in my house where the router is upstairs and the PC downstairs and there's a concrete floor inbetween.

If you want the fastest possible connection between your PC and the router your only option is to use a wired connection running at either

100Mbs or 1Gigabit.

-- JasonB

Reply to
jasonb

Can someone help me out her in understanding what I can get out of my wireless Dell equipment?

I have a DELL Inspiron 8600 with a wireless 1350 WLAN Mini PCI and have just ordered a new D.Link DI-624 Xtreme G (108Mbit) router.

But I'm not really sure how much I can get out of my built-in wireless 1350 WLAN Mini PCI?? I have read somewhere that this supports 802.11g, but other places I have read that this laptop could be bought with 3 different wireless WLAN cards???

Can I get a theoretical 108Mbit - 54Mbit or even less from my built-in WLAN?

Thanks.

Pvest

Reply to
Per

Hi

I guess I might explained myself a bit unclear, maybe it's my Norwegian thong that made my English a bit rusty. :o)

The reason for asking is that I have ordered a new DI-624 router, with a theoretical 108Mbit (of cause not real). But my thought was, now that I have ordered a new DI-624, will I get speed enough to match the DI-624? Or would it be an option to also buy new D-Link DWL-G650 for my laptop?

In other words, will I gain any extra speed if buying a DWL-G650, or will there be no difference either I'm using the built-in or a DWL-G650?

That was my meaning with my question, not so much how much Mbit speed!!

Pvest

Reply to
Per

And bear in mind also that 108Mbs is a proprietary nonstandard speed that generally is only supported if the AP and the PC card are the same make. Two different brands both supporting 108Mbs may still not cooperate.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Your English is quite good. I misunderstood.

You need to have Super-G compatible hardware at both ends to get the theoretical 108Mbits/sec speed. If your built-in laptop Wi-Fi card only does 802.11g, but not Super-G, you will only get 54Mbits/sec. If you want the full 108Mbits/sec, then you will need to purchase a DWL-G650 card.

In most cases, 54Mbits/sec connection speed will give you about

30Mbits/sec thruput. This is usually fast enough for most applications. However, the range is reduced as the speed increases.

The following was stolen from: |

formatting link
don't consider the numbers very accurate, but they're good enough for a start. If you want speed, you will lose range.

Rate Approximate Max Indoor Range

1 Mbps 350 ft. 2 Mbps 250 ft. 5.5 Mbps 180 ft. 6 Mbps 300 ft. 9 Mbps 250 ft. 11 Mbps 150 ft. 12 Mbps 200 ft. 18 Mbps 170 ft. 24 Mbps 140 ft. 36 Mbps 100 ft. 48 Mbps 95 ft. 54 Mbps 90 ft.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Since you're norwegian, check here:

formatting link
Dell 8600 internal to D-Link DI-624:

formatting link
(the blue graph)

Best,

Blix

Reply to
Brynjulf Blix

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.