newbie laptop questions

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:00:36 GMT, DTC wrote in :

Given a current newbie-oriented disto, yes.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:58:40 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Knoppix live CD boots right into a windowed environment familiar to Windows users -- no command line or configuration needed. People I know seem to think the learning curve is not a big deal.

Reply to
John Navas

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:31:38 -0500, "mr.b" wrote in :

Windows comes preinstalled. Most users wouldn't have any idea how to do that themselves.

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:04:23 +0000, Edward W. Thompson wrote in :

Agreed.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

I'm not so sure about that. Many of my customers seem to think that a total reinstallation is the only cure for whatever problems they're having. They seem to be quite adept at performing XP reinstallations. I suspect they would be just as adapt at a cold turkey installation if necessary. Usually, I get involved in cleaning up the mess after they're done, but the majority that try a reinstall seem to do it well enough.

Also, if you want Linux pre-installed:

formatting link
can also get it with FreeDOS (not installed) on some laptop models, which is what I do when I don't want to pay for Windoze.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:49:37 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Your customers are way smarter than my clients, most of whom would almost certainly FUBAR a reinstall.

Reply to
John Navas

true enough...your point

Reply to
mr.b

The problem with new computers is that they come with a ton of crap on them. Most new PC users get terrible performance because their pcs are bogged down in bloatware and marketware.

And then, sometimes it all works and sometimes it does not...even when it's new.

Also, they now come with Vista, which is more to learn.

The problem with used computers is that you have to know what you are doing to buy used. You have to test them thoroughly when you get them to see.

My current laptop is a $400 Thinkpad R50 (not typical) that came all set up as new, with built-in wireless, 1 GB mem, 1 year guarantee left on it, etc. etc. I had to return the first one I bought on Ebay (a $500 T40) after thorough testing revealed that the USB ports were truly stuck in 1.1. This indicated a motherboard problem. Also had a sketchy DVD drive. Not obvious stuff. Long story, but the seller was sincere and after 20-30 hours of testing and troubleshooting I was certain it needed to be returned.

So, I saved money, but it cost me a lot of time. Of course, a new pc can have problems too.

My backup is an older Compaq armada (built like a tank) that I got for $250. No battery, no built in wireless, has 2002 level of performance, but plays DVDs and works great!

In sum, computers are a pain in the ass, better consider it a hobby. If you are not up for sorting it out, then hire somebody who does to buy and set up a pc for you to do what you want to It will be worth it. Make sure you have time to sort it out before you leave the country if something is not right.

I did see some fair deals on Newegg on new or refurbished. Checking right now, here's one I could recommend, if you are looking for economy in a new laptop:

formatting link
Nothing fancy, but relatively modern and well-built.

Here's a variation on mine:

formatting link
No DVD, slow drive and small memory though.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

A few sources of referbished, remanufactured, rehashed, and rebuilt laptops (other than eBay). I've bought from all of these with varying degrees of success. The good news is that I haven't had to return anything. However, I did have to do some minor repair and replace some missing pieces.

HP and Compaq factory refurbished:

Costco Refurbished notebooks:

Dell Outlet:

Tiger Direct:

The new laptops are mixed in with the refurbished ones.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.