Networking problem

I'm trying to hook up two computers on a Motorola gateway. The main computer is hooked directly to the modem and is working fine. The second computer in the back of the house is not connecting. I've tried everything I can think of to connect and nothing is working. The house is not huge, just average size 2 bedroom and the gateway is in the front near the door and the wireless computer is in the back bedroom, could the distance be too far for the connection? Also, which is better gateway?: Linksys or Motorola?

Thanks

BsT

Reply to
Beowulfie
Loading thread data ...

first off Disable all Firewalls on both comps.

Reply to
Glittery Gary

Ok, I've decided that I really don't need two internet connections in the house. I've discovered that if I transfer files with a flash drive(yeah, kinda slow of me, I know)that they will be delivered intact. I wanted the two computers to network so I could exchange files. I tried making data disks but found that they were usually degraded in some way, pictures with parts missing and applications that won't run. But the few picture files I've moved so far seem just fine and I'll try some vids and applications later. So now I think I can rehook the old cablemodem and return the wireless one.

BsT

Reply to
Beowulfie

It would help with determining what the problem is if people would kindly let us now which operating system you're using (i.e. OSX, Linux, Windows, etc.) and which version of the OS you're using and whether you're statically setting your network parameters or doing DHCP. Anyway, if your SSID isn't set then you won't be able to associate with the AP. If that is properly set, then you need to determine if your DHCP server is running or you need to properly set the static IP, gateway address and DNS server addresses. If you're using WEP or WPA encryption, try turning that off to see if that get's the PC running. It's possible that the wireless card is improperly installed or the antenna isn't attached or you have a corrupted or out of date driver for the card or there could be a metallic obstruction (unlikely though) or you have interference to the wireless channel that you're trying to use.

BTW, isn't there an FAQ to address these issues?

Reply to
johnny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.