What Type Of System

All,

Ok, need some help on a security system that I want to get for the home. I don't want to say money is no object, but I will pay what I need for a good system. Here is the story.

I want to install myself.

Home is 1,500 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, two tiny windows in bathrooms (theoreticly you could squeeze through here), one window in each bedroom, 1 sliding glass door, one window in kitchen, one garage attached but no entry directly into house, one front door and two windows in the living room.

One golden retriever who is around 75 pounds and is in the house while we are gone.

Would like a system that ties into fire alarm, one in house and one in garage.

Since i'm installing it myself would like to do wireless but you tell me if there is a big difference in wired versus wireless.

Would like to have cellular backup, would like to have keypads in hallway and bedroom and a system that had some sort of panic button would be good to activate in case of emergency.

If I'm missing anything please let me know.

GR

Reply to
The Pig
Loading thread data ...

Ok, you have an idea of the scope of the job then, and how much equipment you will need.

If you want motion sensors you will either have to bypass them whenever the dog is in the house, or use something like an Intellisense DT500. With a dog that big the good/bad behavior of the dog and motion sensor placemtn will be critical.

Add smokes detectors in the house and a heat detector or two in the garage. For minimal coverage put smokes in each space that rooms conenct into. For modern life safety a smoke should be placed in every room of the house.

Wireless parts cost more, but are easier to install in an existing house. Modern wireless seems to work pretty good. I've had good luck with Napco, and I have a few ITI systems out there that work good too. I prefer teh Napco because its a truly hybrid system allowing me to use hardwired were possible and wireless where its not practical.

Cell backup is great if its monitored by a central station. I am not aware of any that are suitable for anything else.

Just what level of coverage you want.

Optimum coverage is to place a magnetic contact either wired or wireless on every door and window. Back that up with acoustic glassbreak sensor in every room that has windows. If you want to skimp here the two bathrooms with tiny windows are one place people often decide not to put glassbreak sensors. I would still contact them even if you opt not to cover them for breakage.

Then add secondary coverage to key areas. Typical for secondary coverage is to place motions sensors in the master bedroom, home office, family room (where the entertainment center is), expensive hobby room etc. Another thing to consider is any expensive primary targets. Paintings, gun cabinets, safes, liquor cabinets, etc...Magnetic contacts, shock sensors, and other devices can be used creatively on these items even on a 24hr basis to alert you even whent eh alarm system in not armed.

For a good middle of the road hybrid system I like Napco, but Caddx also makes a decent hybrid hardwired wirless system, and I am sure many of the regulars here have other brands they prefer.

Also, look at the available devices. There are a couple wireless motion sensors for instance that claim to be pet immune, but I really would not trust them based on experience with a dog the size you describe. The DT-500 I memntioned is not available as a wireless device, but you can hardwire it easily enough.

I lost a client once because the lady of the house thought the Napco keypads were ugly. She like the pretty keypads somebody else showed here. Such is life, but bear that in mind.

Good luck.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.