Networking

What is the difference in ad-hoc, infra-strustrue

and wich one is best for over all coverage?

Sincerely Chris

Reply to
chris
Loading thread data ...

Ad-Hoc allows two clients to connect in a point to point link.

Typically a "managed" network has one, or more with WDS repeaters, Access Points to which *multiple* clients can connect.

Whether the clients can then communicate with each other or with any other services on the network is a matter of configuration.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

"chris" wrote in news:sodie.34071$Ib4.14717 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Ad-Hoc allows two wireless NIC(s) to share resources between machine like ICS and File & Printer Sharing. While infra-structure allows for the connection to a wireless router and ICS with the router and File & Print Sharing.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Is it like with ad-hoc everybody talks to everybody and infra-structure, everbody has to go back to the ap's??

Reply to
chris

Exactly. In infrastructure mode, all connections go between the clients and the central access point. If you wanna copy a file between two clients, the data has to go through the access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank You , that is the way I like my questions answered.

how about another..

If your system is setup as infrastructure does everybody go back to the AP to get to the Internet or can they go thru the closest / best connected computer to get to the internet. or do they all //always have to go to the AP to get out of the building.

Reply to
chris

Everything goes through the access point in infrastructure. The wireless clients don't even know other clients are there. I think it would be helpful if you disclose what you are trying to accomplish and what you have to work with. If it's to extend your in-house network to other locations, there are security and performance complications which require knowing these things.

Incidentally, some wireless routers (WRT54G) have a "client protection" or misnamed "access point protection" feature, where the clients can't even communicate with each other, while are still able to access the internet through the access point. The idea is to prevent the spread of worms and viruses.

What you're describing is a "mesh network". No access point. Each client is effectively acting in ad-hoc mode, and can pass store and forward packets to the next node. Eventually, it will make it to node that has an internet connection. The obvious benifits of this is improved coverage without a mess of access points and expensive backbone bandwidth. I have a pile of not-so-nice things to say about the efficiency of such mesh systems. That will take too long to explain.

There are also hybrids. WDS (wireless distribution service) offers both the features of an access point (i.e. connectivity to internet) as well as store and forward bridging, in one box. The WDS access point can act as both an infrastructure bridge, and a store and forward repeater at the same time. You can also plug a PC into the ethernet port and effectively use it as a client radio. The down side is that it has many of my complains about the efficiency of mesh networks with the added bonus of proprietary implimentations. Basically, you have to have all one brand of chipset or it will not work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.