Adhoc links

There are 8 of us who live in the same apt building in seperate aprtments who would like to set up a network sharing directories on our computer with each other via our wireless link operating in adhoc mode. None of us have ever used adhoc mode.We all have wired connections to the internet. Is this something we can do while maintaining our wired connection. Security is not an issue , these buildings seem to be pretty much RF tight for some reason . We all have the same type company issed identically equiped laptop .

A wireless AP was set up and everyone can log into that in the client mode.

Reply to
JIMMIE
Loading thread data ...

Ad-hoc does not use a wireless access points (infrastructure mode). In ad-hoc mode, everything goes from client to client directly. If all 8 of you can hear each other directly, then this system will work. If one user cannot hear some other user at the other end of the building, then there is no provision for one of the other stations to act as a repeater and relay the traffic. If everyone can connect to a common wireless access point, you don't need ad-hoc mode.

Windoze XP Home limits the number of file sharing users to 5. XP Pro has a limit of 10.

Ad-hoc wireless networking also officially limits the number of stations to 9 but some vendors have tweaked the limit to 256:

Ad-hoc networking is only officially supported with 802.11b speeds, not with 802.11g. It usually works with 802.11g, but you will have some difficulty getting support for faster ad-hoc from the vendors.

The decision as to which mode (ad-hoc or infrastruture) is made in the wireless client configuration. It's one or the other. In ad-hoc mode, you will lose your connection to the wireless access point, and therefore to the internet. However, your directly wired ethernet connections will remain active.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That AP was gone Friday with its owner. Monday some other company person will probably be there. Connecting to the internet is no problem as we all have wired connections through a common router unfortunatly we can not see each other through thr router and can not make changes to it.. We, those who are hear now, were hoping to be able to remedy this problem. Ad hoc seemed to be the way to go but we havent been able to get it to work. In an ad hoc network should everyone wireless adapter be set to ad hoc mode?

Reply to
JIMMIE

Never mind we got it working, two of the guys figured out what we were doing wrong while I was wasteing time watching the Super Bowl. WAY TO GO STEELERS. This is pretty cool. We are all sharing a directory and we can drop off notes to each other and one guy is seting his up as a post office where you can drop off and pick up mail and I see there is quite a bit of music and videos out there

Reply to
JIMMIE

OK, this hasnt turned out to be what I thoufgt it would be but I guess I should have known better. I had ccopies of quite a few CD and movies on my HD and I think the damn thing has run pretty much all night long. Oh well Ill be gone in 2 days.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

if you are all using the same ap, why not just enable file and printer sharing (on each computer)? can be done quickly/easily/for free

Reply to
Peter Pan

That AP was gone Friday with its owner. Monday some other company person will probably be there. Connecting to the internet is no problem as we all have wired connections through a common router unfortunatly we can not see each other through thr router and can not make changes to it.. We, those who are hear now, were hoping to be able to remedy this problem. Ad hoc seemed to be the way to go but we havent been able to get it to work. In an ad hoc network should everyone wireless adapter be set to ad hoc mode?

You are all using the same router (for your wired connections) right? LAN is LAN whether wired or wireless... file and print sharing is built into windows, turned off by default, works with all forms of networking (wired/wireless/pseudo wired like powerline/coax/etc).. If you don't want to mess with that, have you consider a free lan server, giving each user a name, and just sending messages and attaching files? forgot to ask, are they all running windows xp or vista? You said you can't see each other thru the router, how do you know? (if file and print sharing is turned off, they won't show...) How do you know the devices aren't showing up? (default windows progs usually won't show what's on the network...)

seems sort of silly to mess with ad-hoc, when you may already have everything you need and can use it for free by just turning it on.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Never mind we got it working, two of the guys figured out what we were doing wrong while I was wasteing time watching the Super Bowl. WAY TO GO STEELERS. This is pretty cool. We are all sharing a directory and we can drop off notes to each other and one guy is seting his up as a post office where you can drop off and pick up mail and I see there is quite a bit of music and videos out there

if you feel like putzing, there are free lan mail servers out there, and free software for downloading combining usenet music/video/text/etc files

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.