A Design question

I am trying to simulate a wireless ad hoc network to analyse the performance of TCP over ad hoc networks. I was planning to simulate a network that contains 30 nodes. How do I decide as to how many nodes should be made mobile?.

Thanks, Aravind

Reply to
arvind_c_98
Loading thread data ...

Surely deciding how many nodes should be mobile is a function of the simulation based upon the analysis?!

Reply to
David Taylor

Is this a trick question? 30. Ad-hoc networks are *ALL* mobiles. There is no fixed access point in an ad-hoc network. It's all client to client communications where everyone is equal.

This model is going to be unrealistic as the maximum number of clients in an 802.11b/g ad-hoc network is 9 clients. Are you really using

802.11g/b or is this a Zigbee or sensornet model?

formatting link
If this is your skool project or homework, I suggest you do your own research and reading. If you need help on how something works, we'll try to answer your questions, but not do your homework or project for you. However, this question implies that you're just getting started. I would ask the prof or assistants for clues.

Hmmm... RDNS on your posting IP address of 129.110.97.136 shows University of Texas in Dallas. Yeah, it's a skool.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was under the impression that some of the nodes could be stationary. It wasn't meant to be a trick question. I was hoping someone would point me to some link which would help me decide about the simulation models. Thanks for the link.

Arav> On 26 Oct 2005 14:10:18 -0700, arvind_c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >

formatting link

Reply to
arvind_c_98

You didn't answer my question(s). Is this an 802.11b/g ad-hoc network? If so, you're limited to 9 nodes. However, if it's a Zigbee or MANET network:

formatting link
number of nodes is much much larger. To the best of my recollection, Zigbee is assumed to be all mobile with no stationary nodes, even though some might not move for quite a while.

Some of the nodes may be stationary. However, if you're using Radio-Mobile:

formatting link
modelling your network coverage (not thruput), you don't really need to distinguish between base and mobiles. The only real difference is the equipment, feedline, and antenna definitions.

As for helping you "decide" on a simulation model, it would be helpful to know what you're simulating so the appropriate overpriced tools can be be found. From the minimal information you supplied, I can't offer much help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am using network simulator as the tool to simulate the environment. I was planning to use a two ray ground propagation model which is implementd in ns. I am using a IEEE802.11 MAC and an omni direction antenna model in ns.

Aravind

Reply to
arvind_c_98

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.