Netgear WG311T problems

Hi,

I got a new WG311T wireless adatper card today, to go with the WGT624 wireless router. I have had all sorts of problems getting it to install and connect properly, but finally I seem to have a connection that is working.

I have found the following problems:

1. The Wireless assistant app does not seem to start correctly. I see it running in task manager (wlancfg.exe), but no ICON in the sys tray nor the user interface. I managed to see the UI once, and that was just after the installation, and then I was getting exceptions and errors. Now I have rebooted all I see is the little wireless network connection icon in the systray, but cannot activate the Netgear assistant.

1. I can only seem to connect at 54Mbs. I have WPA-PSK enabled on the router and card. The manual says not a lot about why this happens. My signal strength is showing " very good" and shows between 3-5 bars on the properties tab.

2. I looked on the netgear site for updated drivers. The version installed from the CD appears to be 4.0.0.167, dated 10/02/2005. The latest non beta version on the website seems to be 3.3, with the beta version reading 4.3. The 4.3 version does not seem to work properly. I did the installation of that but could not get the card connected to the router using it.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
SPG
Loading thread data ...

Did you install the software and adapter *exactly* as instructed by the manufacturer? I just purchased one last month and was successful, but I followed the directions to the letter.

Did it not put an icon on your desktop? You can always execute that shortcut to get to the assistant.

Have you got the 624 configured for 108 mbps? I understand that only works on one specific channel.

Try installing the version that came with the CD, again. Uninstall the adapter software. Open your desktop and remove the card. Install the new software. When you get the message installation is complete, shut down the computer and reinstall the card. When you boot up again the Windows should locate the card, install the drivers and the Netgear assistant should configure your device. Hope this works.

Reply to
optikl

Hi,

Yes, I did follow the instructions to the letter.. Install the software, then switch off and plug in card and then reboot. I got the initial "DO you want netgear or WZC", and the region selection. I got the initial screen for the set up using the netgear tool. but when I restart the PC the util does not show an ICON in the systray, it just runs as a process in taskmanager. If I start it from the link it just starts another invisible process.

I went back to the version on the CD too, and the same.

Finally decided to use WZC, uninstalled the lot and then reinstalled but selected windows WZC not netgear. Also, I have a TV sender that wirelessly sends TV upstairs. That was interfering so I switched it off. WZC now connects without a problem, but the netgear tool still will not run. Don't care now as it is all working

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
SPG

It is normal that the Netgear utility will *not* run if you're using the WZC.

Reply to
optikl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.