Netgear DG834 blocks all?

Quite satisfied with my DG834 wireless router but don't understand how to stop it blocking everything with it's Inbound Firewall. This means I can't access my bank accounts or, say HMV Digital Jukebox. Choices in Netgear settings don't seem to show "Permit" for individual programmes, rather "Services" Ident, TCP etc. All progs work fine when using my BT Voyager modem, 'course that's got no firewall and I rely on the CA software (Zone Alarm). All help gratefully received - David

Reply to
Fumier
Loading thread data ...

Unlike the firewall in Windows, the router has way to know the names of any programs your computing is running because packets do not say which program sent them, so the router can only be asked to block or permit anything based on packet type.

You should be able to access your bank account without any inbound services permitted. You computer will be sending packets on TCP ports 80 and 443 with replies coming on ephemeral port numbers which the router should permit without any firewall setting. I don't know the HMV program.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

The message from "Anthony R. Gold" contains these words:

Thanks for comments, Tony. Does this mean I have to get the "packet type" from the prog (or prog manufacturer) and enter this in my Netgear Firewall Rules settings? All help welcome. - David

Reply to
fumier

If you are running a program that needs inward access you must open the firewall to packet type (TCP or UDP) and service/port number and also have those packets forwarded to the correct LAN IP address for the computer. You should be able to find the packet type/port number in the program documentation or via Google or by asking other users or the author.

With a Netgear DG834 you first create a service type in the Services menu and then open and forward that service in the Firewall Rules menu.

In looking around I could find no reference to HMV Digital Jukebox needing remote access - it seems to be a simple music downloading service using Microsoft software which should not need any firewall rule configuration.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

it doesnt sound like the firewall it sounds like your MTU setting is too high for your ISP - in the WAN settings page on the router try dropping it to 1450 or 1400....whos your ISP?

Reply to
MM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.