DG834 (wired) - to wireless

Hiya,

Finally going wireless (or part-wireless).

Currently have 4 PC's through a Netgear DG834 (one is a works laptop through VPN). I could upgrade the DG834 to a wireless router that would still allow me to keep the wired network (maybe a DG834G) or for half the price go for an access point (WG602). As I already have a router that has never given a moments trouble in 2yrs are there compelling reasons for getting a new wireless router or should I just keep the original and add the access point to it?

All I'm looking for is the ability to work downstairs with the laptop (already wireless enables) and the IPAQ (also wireless enabled). The existing wired network would probably stay in place. I'm also not looking to spend money if it isn't necessary.

Appreciate your experience. Thanks.

Reply to
Shawk
Loading thread data ...

I vote to keep what's working, and these are economical and work well:

formatting link
Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Thanks Tony, had (maybe naively) been looking only at Netgear thinking of compatibility. Do different makes tend to work well together?

Reply to
Shawk

There can be issues between wireless sets - every manufacturer seems to do their own proprietary g+ speedup, but this is a vanilla ethernet cabled connection which should in general be very reliable, and in particular I know that model of Motorola AP works perfectly with the Netgear DG834G (which has its own wireless but which was flakey because of proximity to another AP, so I had to disable the Netgear's AP, I plugged in that Motorola one and the rest has been rock solid reliable history).

I see that one has risen from 99p to over £16, but the vendor has lots more:

formatting link
Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Many thanks, off to Ebay I go....

Reply to
Shawk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.