Wifi software/firmware upgrade reduces performance..?

Hi all,

(Thinkpad A31p 2GHZ 512MB WinXP/Win2k on separate partitions, but sharing the same /Drivers directory; IBM MiniPCI 802.11b card; 3COM Officeconnect 802.11B/G Router).

forgett ThinkVantage Access connections Toolbar Icon: "data frame errors"

The "Access connections" manager screen says "waiting for ip configuration"

I tried to do a renew ip/release IP in diagnostic tools, which fails for any of the lan adapters (unless in a good reception area).

tried ipconfig /flushdns it succeded but didn't solve the problem.

ipconfig /renew results in: The following error occurred when renewing adapter Local Area Connection: DHCP Server unreachable

In Windows XP on same notebook (where I wisely didn't upgrade the drivers) everything works fine in the poor reception areas of the house where the newer drivers fail. When I went back to the older drivers on Win2k it worked ok. but is it worth it trying to make the newer lenovo drivers working?

One other thing: I also installed the wirefirm.exe miniPCI Wireless card firmware upgrade, and now it seems to me that web page lookups (i.e. the time spent on DNS lookup) take longer. Is it possible to go back to the older firmware?

secondly, this experience suggests it is inadvisable to upgrade wireless firmware unless its to fix problems.. (well duh..!)

P.S. I have a 128 bit WEP encription and Router security only allowing certain MAC addresses.

P.S. 2 I want to keep the Thinkpad on automatic IP and DNS settings because so other users can go to public Wifi hotspots with it and get automatic connections without reconfiguring.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
developmental2
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.