Need MOBILE Broadband Router

I've read and read. What am I missing? Just telling me would save us a lot of time rather than adding multiple posts to this thread. I am clearly not a wifi expert. The netgear product says it supports the

802.11g standard.

Offer some specific data points and I can connect them and move forward.

Reply to
Albatross
Loading thread data ...

So are you saying that this is a proprietary connection method to the internet that is not compatible with the common systems as found in community and commercial hotspots?

I did not know there were different systems. Is this like the difference between US vs European cellular technologies? Friends have traveled to Europe and logged in with their US sold laptops with wifi, so I would be surprised.

If this is the case is there a term for the technology of the commonly accessible systems here vs somewhere else?

I thought 802.11x and the like was the designation. If a systems supports it, as the netgear mbr does, then...?

Reply to
Albatross

Read it again.. It does *NOT* use 802.11x for broadband *INPUT* at all, it uses a nextel/cell/data connection in the RTP area of North Carolina.... The confusion seems to come about since both cellphone and 802.11x are both wireless, and get used interchangably. (especially the last sentence "NETGEAR's Wireless Mobile Broadband Router has a PC Card slot containing the Flarion 1000 PC Card as the reliable broadband connection to the Internet")

From your note, sounds like you have them mixed up too.. Cellular has absolutely nothing to do with hotspots/802.11x etc.... (read what you wrote, your friends with laptops w wifi logged on, but in the same paragraph you talk about us and european cellular technologies)

That specific thing you are asking about has the flarion card (wich uses CELLLAR PHONE TECHNOLGY) and fits inside a router which converts it to

802.11x for use by wifi enabled computers.

Just an aside, something I told my sister that seemed to make sense, is that wireless 802.11x and cellular, are both sometimes called wireless, but are different animals, sort of like things are called "cars", but an indy racer is not the same as an SUV..... Hope you don't take offense or feel like I am talking down to you, just trying to explain the difference..

Reply to
Peter Pan

Or this? Uses UMTS TD-CDMA.

formatting link

Reply to
Albatross

Not sure what you are asking.... from the marketing text... High-Level Capability NETGEAR's Wireless Mobile Broadband Router has a PC Card slot containing a UMTS TD-CDMA PC Card as the reliable broadband connection to the Internet. This single wireless connection can then be shared among several devices on a local area network to provide immediate, high-speed connectivity. Four

10/100 Ethernet LAN ports support up to 253 networked computers and a built-in 802.11g wireless access point extends the network to support up to 54 Mbps throughput.

Still uses a cell data card... Looks like the same device but with a different PCMCIA card in it.

Interesting info at

formatting link

Excerpt: Two of the more prominent WiMax rivals on the market are Fast Low-latency Access with Seamless Handoff-Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (FLASH-OFDM), sold by Flarion Technologies Inc., and Universal Mobile Telecommunications System Time-Division Code Division Multiple Access (UMTS TD-CDMA), which IPWireless Inc. promotes as an easy migration for cellular operators. FLASH-OFDM got a boost earlier this month when Qualcomm Inc. agreed to acquire Flarion. Both of these technologies offer mobility today and are in commercial use.

Reply to
Peter Pan

I use a 3com travelrouter which does it either way round.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.