Best email option

Hi,

I do a lot of traveling and like to check my email. I currently use a Toshiba laptop but it is a lot of stuff to haul around just to check emails.

I am looking for specific suggestions re, phone, Palm PDA, Windows PDA or any other thing that will do the job of emailing while on the road. I often find free wifi connections on the laptop and use them since my emails are not of National security importance.

Anyone care to leap in here?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that
Loading thread data ...

I have an HP iPAQ PDA (4155) with built-in wireless, can not only send typed emails (a hassle typing on the touchscreen), but have a program called "ritemail" that allows me to handwrite email and send it off as graphics. Have a velcro strip on my vehicles steering wheel and on the back of the PDA, so I can stick it to the center of the wheel (airbag) and watch as it finds open nodes (Use a program called PocketWinc searches for networks AND allows you to connect!).

Just for fun, I also have a WiFI node(s) at home (5 acres - multiple ap's - MIMO), and can be almost anywhere on the property and send/receive emails (and attach pictures etc)....

My latest one is a Motorola e815 cell phone with mobile web and a gmail account

formatting link
part of google), lets me send/receive email from the cellphone itself (a real hassle to type on tho). Much handier than the PDA/Wireless and works from almost anywhere (even out in the woods when hunting).

Sounds convoluted, but I am sitting here in a hotel in Las Vegas at the moment and all my toys work fine here (1k miles away)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. How do you have your farm setup? I live on 20 acres outin thesticks and oly have dial up. I would like to have a wifi access node here as I currently have RG45 and hubs.

I have a couple of PDA's (iQue 3600, Z22) but neither with wifi but I have since been searching and and found a wifi wallet type thing

formatting link
that hooks into he universal connector of mini USB. Not sure if it is the best solution yet.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks for calling it a farm.. heck I can't even get weeds to grow! I started with an ap and dialup (all they had in the area) (using the wiflyer

formatting link
) and later a sat, and then a microwave relay to a nearby mountain.... As for multiple ap's, it started with the house and garage (a few hundred feet away) both have steel snow roofs, and the signal wouldn't go thru em. When I dug a trench and ran electric to the garage, I included a multiuse cable in the trench (networking, phone, intercom etc), then ran another to the back of my lot for a backhouse/on the back 4 (5 acre lot, 1 up front, I call the back the back 4 :) so I could have a guest house way in back for the grandkids. all have AP's hardwired to each other, with the same ssid. Needed one other part way back, but I was already running power/phone/etc so I built a connecting box part way back, and ran the antenna up a tree.

Fraid I'm not familiar with those PDA's.. Can they take an SDIO card? they make em with wifi built in too.

Just out of curiosity, is there a school district near you? I found out about a microwave repeater on a nearby mountain from the local school district.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I have plenty of weeds.

Only one PDA has an SD slot but it is a memory only, no SDIO How dumb is that? The Z22 is Palm with a mini USB.

There is a school district about 12 miles away. It's all pretty flat around here. If there is a repeater it will be on a tower in town I would guess. I'll ask around.There used to be a repeater that was privately owned by a local hobbyist but he would get pissed off with someone and turn it off for a few weeks. It go to be a pain using it.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I personally use a Motorola V551 cellular phone on Cingular to send and receive email over WAP cellular data connection through free Google Mail Mobile. Unlimited data costs $20/month when added to a Cingular voice plan. The phone can also be used for wireless Internet access for a computer using a cable or Bluetooth connection (although note that such "tethering" is contrary to the Cingular terms of service). Download speed (over EGPRS/EDGE) is about

100 Kbps.

(Note that the V551 has been replaced by the very similar V557.)

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks John.

I will check that out with Cingular where I have a Nokia 6012 (I think, without pulling the battery to see).

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.