Workstation sees wireless router but can not connect

I have a Windows'98SE computer with Linksys WMP11 wireless card and Linksys BEFW11S4 router.

I can see the SSID of the router (with 50%-70% signal) but can not connect.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this situation?

Reply to
Eugene F.
Loading thread data ...

Using the proper type of encryption and password/passphrase to connect?

Reply to
Richard G. Harper

Richard,

Thank you very much for the response.

Both Router and workstation have WEP disabled. No MAC filtering on the router either.

Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Disable the ethernet NIC and modem, if any, reboot. What does the DHCP client table in the router show about the new wireless? Do you see the wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the workstation. Run command, winipcfg /all and post the results.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Q,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do not have other NIC cards (nor on-board chips). I just have LinkSys Wireless PCI card ver. 2.7.

IP Config shows three Ethernet adaptors: two of them - "PPP" and my wireless card.

Wireless is listed there with proper IP Address (192.168.1.102) and correct MAC.

Yes, it is listed as #1.

Not sure how to do it.

Here it goes:

IP Address: 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1 Primary WINS server: Secondary WINS server:

I reinstalled the card driver (as advised by Linksys Tech Support) to no avail.

Right now I have intermittent and mostly negative results:

1. Occasionally I can establish connection with the router
  2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts (most of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern can be observed.

I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2003. Disabling does not solve the problem.

I noticed Microsoft security patch KB891711 in both StartUp (via MSConfig) and Add/Delete Software (Control Panel). Uninstalling it did not help either.

Reply to
Eugene F.

Find the application winsockxpfix.exe via Google. This will fix the underlying programming for TCP/IP.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

You've been given some good suggestions. I've had problems that were fixed by flashing the access point. I also have a bunch of usb wireless interfaces that work well on some computers and not at all on others. That's why we have junk piles ;-) mike

Reply to
mike

Mike,

I had this very configuration working just fine (the same wireless card, the same desktop, the same physical location). Probably should look deeper into Win'98SE networking settings.

Reply to
Eugene F.

Q,

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try and report back.

Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Have you tried running the Home Networking wizard that comes with NIS? Been awhile since I've run Win98, but I seem to remember a similiar problem I had with an older Linksys BEFW11S4 router and Win98 and doing that cleared up the problem for me. For some reason disabling NIS didn't help but running that wizard did.

Good luck.

Reply to
Riffrafter

WinXP also has a network setup wizard that will prepare a script for Win98 machines.. That might be worth a try if a WinXP machine is available.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Yes. I ran through the entire uninstall/reinstall process:

1. Unistalled the software
  2. Removed the wireless card
  3. Reinstalled the software
  4. Reinstalled the card
  5. Re-run the wizard
Reply to
Eugene F.

Here is an example:

----------------------------------------- Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150 Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=150 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=150 Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=150 Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=150 Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 31, Received = 7, Lost = 24 (77% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 1ms

Control-C

-----------------------------------------

Reply to
Eugene F.

Q,

I used LSPFix utility that seems to fix the same type of problem as WinsockXPFix but is suitable for Win '98SE. It did not find any problems. Should I try WinsockXPFix nevertheless?

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

if you r using a firewall...then there is a possibility that it mite b causing a problem.

Reply to
Aditi

I use Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2003 that has a firewall component. The erratic behavior I experience happens both with NIS enabled and disabled.

Reply to
Eugene F.

This looks like a bad signal!

We had a similar problem with a LAN at a multi-OS company network. When a faulty cable was replaced it worked perfect.

So you should just move your computer closer to the router and remove obstructions. In case it is obvious the signal should be just fine, it could also be possible that the wireless antenna is damaged.

I _DOUBT_ this has anyth> Here is an example:

Reply to
Jure Sah

Another networked computer in the same room still works fine and this computer used to work at this very location.

I get a signal just no the reliable connection. It takes multiple attempts to establish the connection and then it either extremely sluggish from the beginning or works for a very short period of time and then deteriorates.

Could a bad antenna produce such bizarre effect?

Reply to
Eugene F.

Thank you very much for your input.

NIC software shows the strength of a signal. While it's not great it used to be good enough for a stable connection.

While almost everything on your list applies to my case (antenna is at the back of the desktop with all the other cables around), the same setup (no matter how bad it is) used to work fine.

Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is the only _wireless desktop_ I have.

Reply to
Eugene F.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.