Need help wth Bridge for hotspots

So far, so good. You might have problems if the two radios end up on the same channel (1, 6, or 11).

Well, no. The 2611CB3Plus requires that you type in the MAC address of the access point to which you're connecting, the SSID, and the channel number. Unlike most client adapters, it has no provision for scanning for available access points. It wasn't really made for roaming and was primarily intended for point to point links, where the other end is known and does not change.

For high power, I don't know. I'll see what Google finds.

Have you looked into commercial providers?

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(etc) These tend to be localized, but do have their hardware act together.

My ancient DLink DWL-900AP+ has a "scan for access points" feature. However, it requires that you pre-select the radio channel. That's kinda a problem if you don't know what it might be. It's also not high power.

You could just setup an ordinary wireless client on one of your desktops and install Netstumbler to search for access points. Scribble down the numbers (MAC, SSID, channel) and plug them into your existing 2611CB3Plus. Not the most graceful method, but functional.

Don't use high gain omni antennas on a boat. The -3dB vertical radiation angle is rather small. For example, a 12dBi omni antenna has a vertical beam width of only about 5 degrees. Your vessel needs only to roll about 2.5degrees from vertical and the signal is totally gone. Similar gain antennas in the form of yagi, panel, or dish antennas will have much larger beam widths, which can accommodate more rolling. Methinks a sealed panel antenna is the most common solution for boating.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I need some help with a setup that I am trying to use on my boat. I have cable internet at the marina and I use a cable modem hooked to a Linksys WRT54G wireless hub and router. I use two notebooks with wireless cards. This setup works well.

I would like to have an external antenna high up on the boat to pull in hotspots when I am traveling. I have been told the way to do this is with a high powered bridge. I have installed a Senao/EnGenius 2611CB3Plus(Deluxe)

200mw bridge on the flybridge and plugged it into the Lynksys. I had to change the default address but after I did that I can communicate with the bridge. The problem is that there is no way to direct the bridge to a particular hotspot. Is there a high powered bridge that will work this way or am I going about this the wrong way?

I know a directional antenna would be helpful but I want to try and do this with an omni directional antenna with a yagi as a back up. 110 volts is not a problem. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Jeff:

Is there a bridge better suited for my application? I can probably return the Senao and replace it with a lower powered one. I also have a D-Link DWL-G810 that I was going return because it was low power. I think they make a signal booster that I could add later to the bridge to increase the output.

Would this work

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.