My symptoms, what is the disease?

Here are my symptoms, what is the likely cause(s)? Windows 7, globe ISP, globe supplied router. I do not have a direct line of sight to router, but am using a super powerful half parabola antenna that the adapter says is getting a 80-90% signal strength and quality. Alfa radio with

10Dbi antenna, so I am getting the signal bounced off a wall or not directly in line of sight.

Frequent adapter d/c from router requiring restart of adapter driver (disconnect usb and reconnect). connection frequently restored after reconnect.

Ping times sometimes good other time crawl to unusable connection or no connection. No discernable reason. Like from 63 ms, to 300 ms or lost packet.

Occasional ping replies of: (paraphrased) your assigned ip not reachable OR general failure

Occasional blue screens of death (win7), requiring reboot.

restarting router is of no help, shared connection and don't have router reset capability, since don't have password to router.

I am sharing router with one or two other users, one of whom is a gamer and keeps changing the position of the router antenna to get better connection for HIM, but no good for ME.

I dont think this guy is smart enough to set the router to limit my mac address speed, but I could be wrong.

ALso was blocked from using a proxy checker that pings proxy ips and got no replies, then suddenly it is working again for no reason.

I get the feeling someone, either another user or the ISP is screwing with my wifi connection.

I pay for this connection but I am not the primary account holder.

Any help appreciated. Is Jeff still around? Thanks.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
wifidummy
Loading thread data ...

Yes, but I'm out of service until after Jan 22, when I schedules to have some kidney stones removed. No brain for a few days.

I don't know what's wrong with your setup. Something is causing either your badly specified router or your equally badly specified Windoze 7 computah to disconnect the wi-fi. That could be any of a dozen possible causes that I don't have the patience to slog through right now. Starting with my best guess:

- Crappy wireless router or router power supply. Try to determine if the router is rebooting itself erratically.

- Interference from microwave oven, wireless security camera, media player, or other streaming source of RF garbage.

- Something wrong in your Win 7 machine, OS, wireless device, wireless driver, wireless connection manager, wireless performance monitor, etc.

- Duplicate MAC address caused by anonymizing utility.

- Whatever else I forgot.

Good luck

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks much Jeff. Best of luck with the kidney stone removal. Take a close look at your diet, many things (vit c, etc, supplements, certain foods) can precipitate kidney stones. pubmed.com is a really good resource and search engine that will give you good info that doctors haven't even considered.

Reply to
yandex sucks

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You were right as usual. ipconfig reports device is not connected until I eject the alfa adapter and reinsert, then I can get an IP, otherwise it keeps trying to get an ip and fails. Maybe have to reinstall windows. Once I am connected everything is fine.

Reply to
CebuForumidiots

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.