transfer from desktop to laptop

I have a new laptop (Vista Home Premium) wirelessly linked to a wireless G router and an old desktop (XP Professional) wired by network cable to that router. Both can successfully access the internet. I want to move all my work permanently from desktop to laptop. I have a new install of Office on the laptop. Beyond that what is the easiest procedure for transferring files. I was told by someone in a computer store that this could be done via the router but it's not obvious how. I can't view the source and destination computer from either of the computers. If this is explained somewhere on a technical website please point me to it. If I can also somehow tranfer the settings for all my Office programs that would be wonderful too. Thanks.

Reply to
cambridge
Loading thread data ...

This is not relly about wireless, it is a simple peer to peer networking situation. However, the mix of Vista and XP makes it much more complex. If both machines ran XP, the solution would be:

On Desktop - host machine

- designate a workgroup - default is 'mshome' for home edition

- specify a name for the desktop machine

- activate file & printer sharing these are all in network settings

- declare specific folders as shares right click on folder

- move all relevant documents to this shared folder

On the laptop - client machine

- go to 'network places'

- click on 'add places'

- browse until you find the desktop

- open the shared folder from the desktop machine

- copy files as needed

I have tried this process in Vista, but I can not make it locate the network shares properly sometimes it will find the shares, sometimes it will not, after 5 hours I quite trying Firewall must be off, defender must be off Network sharing and network discovery must be on

I gave up with vista, and sent the laptop back. Dealer was nice enough to find me an XP machine, and I had it working on the network in about 15 minutes.

Now, the fact that I have a linux file server here may have affected vista's ability to find the network - I know that the default authentication protocol has been changed, and I have heard that vista is outright hostile to SMB servers.

If it is a one time move, buy a 4 gig usb drive for about $50 and move the files that way, save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.