Can't get on internet

I earlier had a question and it lead to another. so lest get a fresh start. I have a Acer laptop with windows vista and a Netgear wireless router. I have a desktop connected to the router wired and it works good. I've had this setup about 1 1/2 years working good on both computers. Now I can't get on internet with the laptop. I took it to a wifi and can't get on internet. I connected it wired to my home router and can't get on internet. I can get on my local network. I know it is on local network not only because it says so but I used laptop to access files from the desktop.At times it shows internet connection but when I try to get on line it looses internet and says can't find page but still has local connection. Any ideas how a 70 year old computer dummy might solve this? L.D.

Reply to
L.D.
Loading thread data ...

did it ever work in the past? sounds like it may be a firewall lockdown to stop internet access but still allows local..

can't say on your model, i have an acer with xp and a linksys wap, did have it not work on wireless (wired was okay, drove me nutz, turned out to be a key combo i hit by accident turned off wireless ((not wired)), wonder if there is a key combo on yours for locking down the internet that will block both wired and wireless... may be worth looking at the manual to see if there is one)

ps, as i sort of recollected from some specific review... Acer TravelMate 3012WTMi.... features six media-control keys, six system-control hot keys and six Internet function keys.....

after the debacle with my acer and wireless, i wondered if all those extra keys can do unintended stuff (my acer only has 12 keys, this one has 18, 6 more unintended problems/accidents? what did they add?)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Having looked at your original post you said your vista laptop had internet access but you daughters XP laptop did not, has your laptop now failed? Have you run ipconfig /all as Char suggested? If you don't know how to do it follow the tutorials here:- Win XP

Win Vista

Run it on all of your machines and check if there are any differences between the working, Internet access, and non-working ones and let us know.

Reply to
LR

Thanks to both of you. Yes my daughters will work on my network now. This just happened to my laptop. I will rum that ipconfig /all later today on my laptop and desktop. If I understand you correct, the info on both should be the same. BYW I have disabled windows firewall on the laptop. L.D.

LR wrote:

Reply to
L.D.

Thanks to both of you. Yes my daughters will work on my network now. This just happened to my laptop. I will rum that ipconfig /all later today on my laptop and desktop. If I understand you correct, the info on both should be the same. BYW I have disabled windows firewall on the laptop.

I just got info from both computers IP for desktop is 192.168.0.2 IP for laptop is listed I Pv4 192.168.0.3 (preferred) Everything else is the same except laptop has DNS server 4.2.2.3 in addition to 4.2.2.2 which is the only one listed for the desktop. There is much more info for the laptop than the desktop L.D.

LR wrote:

Reply to
L.D.

Your laptop will provide info for both your wireless card and your Ethernet card but the desktop probably doesn't have a wireless card so only provides info for it's Ethernet card.

I have just run a couple of checks using a DNS Benchmark program from grc.com and according to it the DNS Server at 4.2.2.2 has a high response time and poor reliability. 4. 2. 2. 2 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%| ----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+ - Cached Name | 0.725 | 0.796 | 0.857 | 0.060 | 46.2 | - Uncached Name | 1.416 | 1.416 | 1.416 | 0.000 | 33.3 |

if you compare it to 4.2.2.3 4. 2. 2. 3 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%| ----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+ - Cached Name | 0.029 | 0.031 | 0.033 | 0.001 | 100.0 | - Uncached Name | 0.031 | 0.125 | 0.383 | 0.096 | 100.0 | - DotCom Lookup | 0.032 | 0.193 | 0.360 | 0.107 | 100.0 |

I would suggest you use 4.2.2.3 as your primary DNS Server for all your machines and if you require a secondary DNS Server use 4.2.2.5 4. 2. 2. 5 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%| ----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+ - Cached Name | 0.025 | 0.027 | 0.029 | 0.001 | 100.0 | - Uncached Name | 0.028 | 0.117 | 0.379 | 0.102 | 100.0 | - DotCom Lookup | 0.035 | 0.155 | 0.330 | 0.106 | 100.0 | ----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+

Reply to
LR

OK how do I change that DNS server? On the laptop on occasions it wouldn't get on internet. someone figured it was that DNS. It was set on automatic and they said to put it manual and put in 4.2.2.2. Is that where I would change it? MY laptop would work ok for a good while and of a sudden it wouldn't get on internet. I would look ant that DNS was automatic for some reason. I reset it and all was OK for another time period. At also would default to automatic if I took it to a public WIFI. I then had to reset again for it to work at home. Why would it not find it automatic? It is set to find IP automatic. I understand you suggest change the DNS for Desktop also. You do understand it is working good.

LR wrote:

Reply to
L.D.

From Open DNS, you can use their servers if you wish to do so and you don't need to open an account. Win XP

Win Vista, make sure you pick your wireless connection.

I have never known this to revert to the automatic option.

It may be working now but the DNS test showed it as being unreliable so there is a good chance it will fail.

Reply to
LR

Reply to
L.D.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.