Linksys WTR54GS (travel router) connection Problems

Do they force you to buy and use them? That is your choice.

Actually they do. You just don't care for it. And you didn't answer the question. Suppose your customers behaved in the same fashion?

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

Sure, they are providing a service. How do you or your employer operate your business?

So in your mind it would be OK if you say paid $15 for the buffet and kept stuffing a bunch of food in a bag and bringing it to your "team" to avoid paying for each one? It does add up if you had to pay for all of them..

Reply to
George

I would work with my customers to find a solution. They aren't. The Product exists so apparently Linksys is selling a product that according to your ridiculous definition of morality is designed to "steal" service. So how about this, either offer something meaningful or stop posting. Its simple and everyone is happy.

Reply to
Justin

Everywhere. In the EU it is law that everyone who uses the itnernet must allow the establishment to copy their passport. So I, as an American before I am able to use an internet cafe - must give them my passport to copy. Due to that restriction most EU hotels go by Mac address and only allow one machine on at a time.

Here is a video of what my WTR is doing.

formatting link

Reply to
Justin

really - our son is home from Germany, and I just asked him about this, and he never heard of it.... They wanted to see a passport when he bought a cell phone, but nothing asked at any of the youth hostels, hotels, or cafes...

Guess will have to do a little surfing and searching.

Reply to
ps56k

and I will use the service in accordance with their Terms of Service. As far as I can tell no contract forbids the use of a WTR or RB-1132. Therefore since it is not against their rules - I'min the clear. Do you have a router on your broadband connection? Woe, why aren't you paying for a connection for each of your kids? That's stealing!

Apples and Oranges. We are one customer - not ten. Stop pretending you're on the moral high ground - discussing this with you is pointless. Its not stealing whether you want it to be or not. Quit while you're behind.

Reply to
Justin

Does he have an innate desire to kill Jews? I ask only for the purposes of research.

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

On 29/06/2010 01:41, Justin wrote:

Which countries have you been visiting? Hotels in some countries do photocopy passports but it is not "EU Law" that it must be done and in most countries you fill out a registration card and produce your passport as proof of identity. In the UK they only seem to have been interested in my credit card details so they could be paid, but I also reside in the UK.

I did a little "Googling" and came up with this which may be of interest. Appendix 1 ? Sample letter from DHS Privacy Office to European Data Protection Authority or Ministry of Interior/Justice [Begin Text] I am writing to you to seek your assistance to better understand the [country] approach to third-party, commercial collection of personally identifiable information for law enforcement use. Of particular and immediate interest is the dual use of hotel guest registration information. As you know, Article 45 of the Schengen Convention requires Schengen Member States to adopt measures in order to ensure that hotels collect personal information from guests upon registration and that they retain or forward the information to police for law enforcement and other purposes. For [country], I am interested in domestic legislation apart from applicable EU directives that could shed some light on this example of private ? public data sharing. Previously, I have written separately to the European Data Protection Supervisor, the Article 29 Working Party, and [others], seeking information and views from their perspectives. I seek from you now the [agency?s] perspective in this regard and am interested in your interpretation of domestic legislation apart from applicable EU directives that could shed some light on this example of private ? public data sharing. My questions are: Hotel Collection of Personal Data ? Do hotels in [country] collect personal data from guests to provide to [country] security agencies? o If yes, is this a requirement under federal or state law? Which law or laws govern this collection? o If yes, is such information routinely transferred or made available upon request by the security agency? o If done routinely, how often do these transfers occur? o If yes, are hotels required to notify guests of routine or case-specific transfers? ? What personal data is collected? ? Is the passport scanned or passport number collected? Are photocopies or images of passports collected? ? How long must the hotel retain the personal data? ? For this collection, what means of access and redress do individuals have? ? In what form is the personal data provided to the police or a security agency (i.e., hardcopy or electronic)? ? If in hardcopy format, are there any pilot programs or plans in [country] for electronic transmission of hotel registration data to police or security agencies? ? What is the competence of the Data Protection Commissioner with respect to hotel collection of registration personal data? ? Must hotels inform the Data Protection Commissioner when transfers are made to security agencies?

Security Agency Collection of Hotel Registration Personal Data ? What use or uses do the police or security agencies make with hotel registration personal data? ? How long is it retained? ? Are security agencies required to notify individuals that their hotel registration is being used for a law enforcement or security purpose? ? What means of redress do individuals have via the police or the security agency? ? Do the police or security agencies in [country] share the personal data with other [country] government agencies, such as the intelligence service? Others? ? Do the police or security agencies in [country] share the personal data with third party countries? If so, which? ? Does the Data Protection Commissioner have competence with respect to oversight of the security agency?s use of the personal data? Are there any limits to the Data Protection Commissioner?s competence over the police, security, or intelligence agency use of the personal data? ? What other oversight bodies are there in [country] that may have competence to oversee the police, security, or intelligence agency use of this personal data? Your clarification of these questions will help me better understand the [country] practice of information sharing between the private and public sectors. Please let me know if there is a point of contact to whom I can address follow-up questions. Warmest regards, Hugo Teufel III Chief Privacy Officer

The UK is not a "Schengen State".

Reply to
Bob

UK, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Germany, France even Luxembourg. I don't know what to tell you, when I went to Internet cafe I was asked for my passport.

Reply to
Justin

France Hotel Collection - French decree (article R 611-25 of the Code of the entrance and the stay of the foreigners and the right of asylum) requires hotelkeepers to obtain a signed registration form from foreign visitors. Data collected includes family and first names, date and place of birth, nationality, and home address. The information is transmitted daily to the police authorities.

Reply to
Bob

My wife is staying in one in Orlando at a conference right now, at a Marriot. $15.95 a day per user.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Really per user, or per room? Couple staying in the same room would need two (2) accounts? I've seen hotels charge by room, but not by user. And when I've rented a room for a meeting or conference, there has only been one charge for Internet access.

Reply to
John Navas

France, I feel free to f*ck on the beaches there.

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

You're a filthy, disgusting fudge packer, you know that though.

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

Yeah. I guess they think this will prevent terrorists from communicating with Osama. Alum Ackbar, or something.

Reply to
Justin

Well Johnny boy

Since $15 per user per day seems to be the de facto price int he US I'll give an example as to why I want to do this. Ten of us for a week. $15 * 7d * 10p = $1,050 or $15 * 7 = $105.

I see you seem to make an awful lot of friends 'round these parts.

Reply to
Justin

I am not sure what is going on or even what your "router" does however here is what surely MUST work.

One possibility seems to be that their system is only allowing one MAC (either at wireless {layer one} OR at bridging {layer two} level) or one internal IP address, perhaps for NAT.

If your device is ROUTING and NATting between your "private" network and the hotel network then the hotel cannot possibly know what you are up to.

So that is what you need to do, Route and NAT.

A windows PC can for example do this. Look up Internet Conenction sharing. I would give details if I knew them but you may as well look it up as me:)

You might also, if your linksys is repeating the wireless, and can bridge to wired, use the linksys as a wireless client, then use a wire to a normal DSL/cable router (Ethernet outside interface) and use that to NAT (and of course route).

Regarding European passport stuff. Some European countries require registration when you stay in a hotel. The UK is not one and has not been such for at least 50 years. Here all you need is money. France does, the details are sent to the police.

I ocassionally use internet cafes in the UK and very ocassionally in other parts of Europe and I have never been asked for any details at all. Only money or in fact not even that in many cases for WiFi. I last used an internet cafe in London a few days ago. It cost =A30.5 per half hour, this is not enough to pay for registering details. You turn up, use the computer and pay on the way out. They even smile.

No idea where you get the idea that you need to register to use the internet in the UK. Complete bollocks.

Although we may not be quite as "free" in theory as those in the USA, in practise there is no difference for very, very, very, nearly everybody very, very, very, nearly all of the time. We are even of course free to be ill without facing bankruptcy. Oh dear, should I delete the politics........... thinks. Thread is bound to be inundated with msgs explaining that lots of dead and dying poor people are good for the soul. Still thinking ................

Reply to
bod43

The WTR54GS is apparently a piece of crap. Linksys of that time was known for lousy products. I shouldhave researched the device before purchasing.

Correct.

Correct.

Yes.

I know about Windows ICS, and I would rather have a dedicated piece of hardware rather than have a laptop on all the time.

Can't do that because I don't always have an ethernet port available.

So does Italy. I actually got yelled at. My US passport was photocopied and check with the local police before I could sit down at a computer.

Awesome.

When the team was in the UK and Ireland I didn't handle the internet connection since I was the last to arrive. When I got there, each one of us rotated the account info. Person 1 used it from 5-6pm, dinner at

6-7pm I used it 7-8 etc.

I have no problem paying for something if its worth it. I however, despise being gauged by companies that think I don't have a choice. It is my responsibility as a consumer to find the fairest price for a service or product; it is the duty of the corporations and manufacturers to provide such services. Apparently I am not theonly person on the planet who thinks hotel internet policies are unfair since aforementioned corporations are producing various Internet sharing devices specifically designed for hotels. They are filling a demand for a product. Microsoft has ICS. Linksys had the WRT, not another company has the RB1132.

The free market is a wonderful thing. Combating terrorists by photocopying passports - isn't.

formatting link
wonder Italy never won a war.

Reply to
Justin

I suspect the problem people are going to have with that statement is that if you think something isn't worth the cost, you're expected to walk away from it rather than sneak around and take a 5-finger discount.

Your responsibility for finding the fairest price doesn't usually mean you can manufacture a lower price if you don't like the normal price. We'd all like to arbitrarily and unilaterally lower the cost for the things we buy, but it's generally frowned upon by polite society.

You can't blame the device. It has legitimate uses, too, in addition to how you're using it.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I see no real issue here. I've seen hotels charge by room, but not by user. When I've rented a room for a meeting or conference, there has been at most one charge for Internet access. If the hotel really intended to charge by user, then it would presumably state that in the terms of service, but I've seen no evidence of that either. Do you have any real evidence to the contrary?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.