What's the best travel router for use inside a home?

I'm looking to get a travel router because I need to stay conneced whenever I leave town, which isn't often. Therefore, I'd like to get the best travel router to connect to my cable modem router so I can get free from the cable when I need to. Basically, I'm looking for something that wil give me a signal probably no more than50 yards. I've got an Averatec laptop, running Windows XP Home. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
Pops Freshenmeyer
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:24:01 -0500, Pops Freshenmeyer wrote in :

Apple Airport Express.

Reply to
John Navas

Make it simple, (almost) any USB adapter will work just fine,

D-Link's DWL-G122 is one of many.

-af-

"Pops Freshenmeyer" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Chesslib

The main differences seem to be in how they are powered. The Linksys Wireless G travel router has a built in U.S. plug, while the Netgear and Belkin travel routers device uses an external adapter.

The D-Link and the APC models support power over USB, which can be more convenient when traveling, but they also can be powered from an AC adapter.

If it were me, I'd get the D-Link due to the dual power options, and the fact that the APC is only 802.11b. It's also about the least expensive option, $38 after rebate, including shipping, from Amazon, see "

formatting link
". Reviews are mixed on Amazon, with most people liking it, but a few that could not get it to work.

Reply to
SMS

Look at the WyFlyer

formatting link
it is a travel router/dial-up-modem/AP/etc all in one pocket sized device.. I have been using it for a year or so when traveling, and always leave my laptop and PDA set to use the WiFlyer for an internet connection.. It can be hooked into most any ethernet network connection, or if in a motel that doesn't have a wired network, it has it's own built in dialup modem .

IE it is more than just a travel router, but also has a built in dialup modem that you can use if there is no network where you are at.

PS In case you are curious, it's about $140.

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have and like the Linksys Wireless-G Travel Router - WTR54GS

See:

formatting link

Reply to
JPElectron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.