This is just to document my experience in the last 48 hours with Linksys new WRT54G v5 wireless router/access point.
- It's hard to tell from the box whether you are getting v5 or a v4 router. Google is you haven't heard about the difference (v5 is on a new platform is at firmware release 1.0.0 out of the box).
- It was rough from the start with the v5 router. I have had several WRT54G's and was really surprised. Updated firmware to the latest
- Problems: - SIS enabled/disabled setting keeps creeping back to enabled - Router set for "mixed" network, WEP, all connections from "B" devices fail. Tried two Apple airport equiped Macs and one other "B" device. - Router kept losing it's IP. Reboot/power cycle required. - Firmware 1.0.0 had obvious bugs... Wireless Security... WEP... screen shows a blank instead of "WEP"
- I don't think this is Apple Macintosh related (Tried a non-apple device with same results).
- Unplug the v5 and substitute a v2.2 WRT54G has none of these problems.
- Based on this experience, I cannot recommend the WRT54G v5. I was able to find a couple of v4's at other retailers.