Linksys Wireless Router Problem

I have a 2.4 Ghz Wireless-B BEFW11S4 Linksys router with a cable modem. The router has been working well for almost two years. However, the wireless feature now no longer seems to be working, though I have not made any changes to the router setup.

When I'm wired directly from the modem to my laptop there is no problem. And whem I'm wired through the router to the modem, my internet connection is fine. Yet when I go wireless, there is no internet connection. Moreover, the wireless signal strength is still strong (i.e., the router is detected). Oh and the same thing happens with my wife's laptop.

I tried powering down the router and modem as well as resetting, but still no luck. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to buy a new router unless I really have to. Thanks

SZ

Reply to
dhillonj98
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure it's the router and not your wireless nic?? Do you get an ip address with the wireless? Can you connect to the router wirelessly?

Reply to
gene martinez

I'm not sure what a "wireless nic" is. And how do I check if I'm getting an ip address with the wireless? And no I'm not able to connect to the router wirelessly with my laptop, and neither can my wife with her laptop.

Reply to
dhillonj98

The wireless nic is the wireless card in your computer. If both of you can't connect that it sounds like the router. If you hard wire to the router can you get to the internet? You should be able to connect to the router when your hard wired. Do an ipconfig or winipcfg and see what your ip address is. This will also give you the default gateway, this is the ip address of your router. Open a browser and enter the ip address and this should allow you to conncet to the router and then you can look at how it's set-up.

HTH

Reply to
gene martinez

I am having this same problem, and am curious whether a solution was found. I've tried resetting my IP address, resetting the whole modem, lots of things, but nothing has worked. I never had any problems until about the beginning of May, and now I can't go wireless anymore.

- JH

Reply to
jkharrington

Have you checked the LinkSys web site to see if there is a recent firmware upgrade [download] for your specific router? Your ISP or some MS update may have changed something that is affecting your connection.

Linksys also has a support forum where you might look for others having your problem with the same router. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Also, what do you see on Win-XP (or whatever your laptop has) WiFi/ WLAN console?

Does it show a red cross (x) against the ESSID of your wifi router?

Or does it not even list the ESSID of the wifi router?

PS: ESSID is just the name of your wireless network.

c24 /

formatting link

Reply to
c24

~ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ~ >> When I'm wired directly from the modem to my laptop there is no ~ >> problem. And whem I'm wired through the router to the modem, my ~ >> internet connection is fine. Yet when I go wireless, there is no ~ >> internet connection. Moreover, the wireless signal strength is still ~ >> strong (i.e., the router is detected). ~ > ~ > ~ > I am having this same problem, and am curious whether a solution was ~ > found. I've tried resetting my IP address, resetting the whole modem, ~ > lots of things, but nothing has worked. I never had any problems until ~ > about the beginning of May, and now I can't go wireless anymore. ~ > ~ > - JH ~ ~ ~ Have you checked the LinkSys web site to see if there is a recent ~ firmware upgrade [download] for your specific router? Your ISP or some ~ MS update may have changed something that is affecting your connection. ~ ~ Linksys also has a support forum where you might look for others having ~ your problem with the same router. ~ bj

Linksys tech support now has a 1.52.06 load for the BEFW11S4 V4 that might be good for what ails it. I'm planning on giving this a try some time.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

If you're absolutely sure that your settings are correct for both the wireless card and the wireless router, then I suggest that you (a) unplug the modem and the wireless router as well as power off the wireless computer. After several seconds, plug in the modem first, then the wireless router and restart the wireless computer. A simple procedure like this often fix problems similar to yours. If that doesn't work, reset and reconfigure the Wireless router

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.