installing wireless router

Does at least one PC have to be wired to a wireless router? My daughter gave me a wireless router she no longer needs, with no instructions. I went on line and downloaded the installation files, manual, specs and quick start sheet. They say to load the installation disk first, then connect the PC to the router with a USB cable. Is that necessary for set up only? I'll be using the router at another home that already has a cable modem. My plan is to connect the router to the modem so I can use my laptop with the router wirelessly. I will only have the laptop at that home. I'm using WinXP and it's a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router

Reply to
William Andersen
Loading thread data ...

No but...

... its a good idea to CONFIGURE the router using a wired connection, so that you can make changes to the wireless security etc without losing connection.

I think you have the wrong instruction manual - the BEFW11S4 doesn't have a USB port. If its a real router, you don't need USB and you don't need any drivers. Just plug the ethernet port of your PC into an ethernet port on the router.

Should all work fine.

Note however that this is a very old router, 11Mbps only (so expect at best 4-5.5Mbps throughput), and poor security (WEP only). If you live in a metropolitan area, there's a fair chance you will get hacked.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
William Andersen

If you lock your front door or lock your car door in the parking lot, you live in a place where you need better than WEP security. And your neighboors may not be as dumb as you think....

Reply to
Piso Mojado

No. A wireless router will work with all wireless connections. However, you may find it handy to use a wired connection for configuration.

Oh-oh. Beware of family bearing gifts, especially if the gifts are old and used.

Disaster. You actually read the instructions. Nobody does that. If the product were any good, it wouldn't need instructions. Also, you may have the wrong instructions as the BEFW11s4 does not have a USB port.

Punch the reset button on the back of the router to clear out your daughters settings. Plug into one of the LAN ports, a WIRED ethernet CAT5 cable to your PC. Point your web browser to: http://192.168.1.1 and configure the beast. Use the cdrom as a coffee cup coaster and burn the instructions.

What speeds? The BEFW11S4 can't handle much over about 8mbits/sec (my measurements).

Good plan that should work. However, the BEFW11S4 is not a very good router. It only does 802.11b (slow), some models only do WEP encryption (not very secure) and some hardware versions (v4) tend to hang. Decent wireless routers sell new for $30 to $100 which methinks would be a better idea.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

For at least 30 seconds.

Reply to
DTC

I was planning to buy a router when this freebie showed up. Now that I have it, I may as well take it there and see if it works. If it does, I've saved $30; if it doesn't, well - it was free.

Reply to
William Andersen

So your time is wothless, and the time of those here that answered is worthless also... I'll remember that you think people here are worthless, next time you ask a q, and give you an answer fitting your estimate os our value.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

That's fine. However, I think you might find it interesting to search alt.internet.wireless for any comments on the BEFW11S4:

I have 4 of them piled up on the shelf. Their main purpose is to keep my mess of manuals from falling over.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Follow up: The antique Linksys is set up and is adequate for internet access and email. Thanks for the posts.

Reply to
William Andersen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.