Help! Wireless connection problem

The Hardware ============ Windows XP Pro, SP 2 Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B router Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem Cox cable Broadband service D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter

The Network Setup =========== Simple. Cable signal into cable modem, cable modem into wireles router. Signal gets sent to one computer. Working like this for months, no problem.

Quick background ================ Connection was a flakey lately, called Cox and they came out to take a look. When they came, everything was working great as they were able to observe. The decided for good measure to switch out the modem for a new, more robust modem. I was fine with that. We put it in. The modem is provisioned, set up no problems.

The Problem: =========== No Internet connectivity. Modem is operating normally. All status lights look great. The router is working great. I can bring up the admin screen no problem. But, no Internet connection. Cox tech was here 2 hours and finally left with no resolution. Things we tried: Replaced cable from modem to router. Hardware reset the router. renew / release.. etc. Deletion and re-creation of wireless connections Did the old routine of turning off the router, modem, powering back up, re-booting, etc. a jillion times and in different variations. No help. It's like the router cannot talk to the modem. I can talk to the router, but that's it. The only thing I can think of is that my "old" linksys router is not compatible with the modem, although I wouldn't think so??

Any help or ideas? Quite a frustrating day!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BigJim

Try connecting directly to the modem, without the router. Also, it's Cox's problem if they're supplying the modem. Have them bring out a notebook computer to demonstrate that the modem is functional. If they can't get it going, using their gear, it's their problem, no excuses.

Reply to
James Knott

Problem solved.. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the linksys router and got it working. Hope this will save someone trouble in the future.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

yeah i was having the same problem suspected i needed new firmware to

match the new modem.. thanks for confirming now i can use my wireless

connection as well.

Reply to
worldspawn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.