Linksys Compact Wireless G Internet Video Camera can't access it over the net - need help from someone who does

For just testing the port redirection and the camera, there's no need for a gateway because all the IP's being used in the test are in the current Class C sub-net. There should be no other IP's involved. I was trying to figure out a way to literally disable the gateway IP, but I guess the firmware authors didn't like either of my suggestions (same as router IP and 0.0.0.0).

Fine. Whatever it takes because the gateway IP is not being used for anything in this test. It's a reather unusual situation which I don't think the firmware authors every considered.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Fair enough, but why would that matter enough for you to care? It's not going to matter for the test, and might cause problems, so why not use a more reasonable value? I would even argue against using private IP addresses at all on the WAN side for the same reason -- the firmware might be "smart" enough to object.

I agree. I just have found it best to have tests mimic the real world as much as possible, this example being a case in point.

Reply to
John Navas

True. I could have suggested almost any IP address. However, I've done it using different /24 IP blocks on the WAN and LAN ports without any difficulty. I figured it would also work here.

True. I've seen Ascend ISDN routers do just that. I have a /24 netmask setup on the LAN port, but the piece of junk refused to route anything inside a /8 network on the WAN port. OK, so next time, I'll use a routeable IP for a simulation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you for your gracious reply. For the record, I have a great deal of respect for you, and for your style, and I agree with you the great majority of the time.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.