Compact wireless G internet video camera - ok I give up to make it work - looking for some Saturday surfers with a little knowledge

I am trying to install a four camera system using a linksys compact wireles g internet video camera connected to my Compact PC 1000, using Windows XP, linksys wrt 54g, over Wild Blue Satelitte isp.

I signed up with linksys and got the following redirect ip

formatting link
Everytime I try to access the site with IE or Netscape I receive the message

"the page cannot be found"

I have redone the install several times, called linksys tech support, replaced the camera, and still can't get passed STEP 1.

I can see the camera image just fine locally, but once I try to see it over the net at

formatting link
get the message the page cannot be displayed. I have disabled my firewall on my PC even though that should not be a factor with this camera.

I agree I must be stupid. What in the world am I doing wrong. If there are any Saturday surfers who would like to take pitty, I would gladly and grately accept a walk through.

Anyone out there who has this service up a working over the net? One the first try

It can't be this difficult. Anyone have nothing else better to do today, I would love to hear from you.

dummy newbie

Reply to
deadwood_history
Loading thread data ...

This review one (for the bigger camera) says it's not just plug and play and mentions the need to open ports 1024..

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

Yes, I had already opened port 1024 all they way up to port 3000, and I still was not able to remote view over the internet.

According to WildBlue High-Speed Satellite Internet tech support, they do not block any ports. When I told them I could not access port 1024 they had not explanation as to why not.

To verify their statement, I used Port Detective. It showed that port

1024 was beiong blocked.

I believe this is an issue with WildBlue not wanting their bandwidth eaten up with these type of applications. I have come to believe I will never get the Linksys cameras, which I think is a great way to be able to remote view, to ever work over WildBlue Satellite.

If I had other DSL service available to me, which I don't, this might "all" be a mute point.

Just a warning to anyone else who might be considering trying to use this Linksys application over WildBlue Satellite Internet. It probably isn't going to work if the ports that are assigned by Linksys are going to be blocked by WildBlue.

My next direction, and one that will cost me more monthly bucks, is to setup GoToMyPC service, put a PC at the site I want to remote view, and use Radio Shack's 4 camera video surveillance hardware, instead of Linksys' really cool cameras (which I now own 4 of)!

Ther perks of living in the country, I guess.

Thanks anyway for the info. I am up for any suggestions that can get around this.

Still dufus dummy newbie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Don't do that. You only need one port open. Try a port number other than 1024. See my other posting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm no expert but perhaps you could defeat that using something like a VPN to hide the traffic.

Reply to
CWatters

Linksys tech support had me open a range of ports at one time to speed up the test of their camera, allowing them to choose from a range of ports during our discovery session.

Linksys tech support encountered the same unable to "open page" no matter what port it chose across this very large range of ports. It was their contention that the problem must be on the WildBlue side and not with any of the port settings at the Linksys website and the associated one port setting on the Linksys router for that specific camera.

I have even disabled port range forwarding for this specific camera and enabled DMZ just to see if that would make any difference. I still was not able to remote view even opening my router up to the world............geeze, scary. DMZ has now been disabled.

still baffled, but thanks for the suggestion

Reply to
googlegroup2006

To Jeff Liebermann Yes, I will provide you the info to all your questions regarding "See my other posting". I appreciate all the time, effort and links you gave me.

I want to go read the information you gave me at the suggested links.

Thanks again,

dufus dummie newbie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

VPN would be a possibility, however, I do not have a VPN server or any VPN software.

This would be "probably" be cost prohibitive compared to the alternative of GoToMyPc.com scenario resolution.

But a good idea. Thanks

Reply to
googlegroup2006

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Did Linksys have you temporarily enable remote admin to your BEFW11S4 router on port 8080 so they could see how you configured the router? If they can't get to 8080, then WildBlue is blocking some ports. If they can get to 8080, you have something misconfigurated.

RDNS shows that you're at: 70.41.5.65 PTR record: 70-41-5-65.cust.wildblue.net. Ok. That's on Wild Blue. Trying: http://70.41.5.65:1024Nothing. However, telnet shows that the port is open and redirected somewhere that's not responding. When I try a rather high numbered port such as 10000, it returns the usual:

telnet 70.41.5.65 10000 Connecting To 70.41.5.65... Could not open a connection to host on port 10000 : Connect failed

Looks like you still have ports 1024 to 3000 redirected somewhere.

2999 results in a connection timeout while 3000 results in the above connection failure.

I'll be nice and not run a port scan to find your camera. That tends to hang the BEFW11S4.

Yeah right. Pardon my lack of faith in Linksys supports diagnostic abilities.

Well I do have some suggestions:

1. Check your assumptions. I'm assuming that the camera works on the LAN when directly addressed to 192.168.1.115. Is this correct?

1. Verify that you really do have port 1024 redirected to this IP address and that the port forwarding is enabled. My favorite time burner is to setup port forwarding, but then forget to enable forwarding. See the little check box on the right of the settings: |
    formatting link

1. Turn OFF UPnP in both the router and the camera.

1. See my other posting and answer my questions if you're still stuck. I'm still not even sure of the model number.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No I hve the WRT54G V5 firmaware versin 1.00.6

yes

yes

posted answer to you other question also in the other messages

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.