limiting time on wireless network

Ask your son, I'm sure he'll be able to show you how to configure your router. :^)

Seriously, there isn't any better solution than making sure the system is in a public room so the whole family can watch. Children can often work out how to bypass physical security. e.g. An Ofcom study into the use of PIN protection systems for satellite TV in the UK found:

formatting link

Reply to
Duncan Booth
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:01:31 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Duane Arnold the router to block his Internet access or if the router can block

Simpler just to shout up the stairs "gerrof that bl**dy computer and get to bed" surely ?

Seriously tho, technical solutions won't work in the long run, you need to actually get your kids to do as they're told. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I find shouting up the stairs works, especially if followed up with a demonstration of the WinXP Event Viewer audit trail and a pointed reference to loss of access to Bionicles..... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"Pel" hath wroth:

Many routers have a feature where access from specific IP's and MAC addresses are limited by time. The problem is that most such "access restrictions" pages are not specific as to whether they block just the wireless, or block ALL access to the internet. For example, the WRT54GC blocks ALL access as in:

formatting link
it does have an "access policy" table that should do the trick. Hit the "edit list" button.

I have a similar problem at two bars with free wireless. They don't mind having someone hog the table before about 6PM because there are plenty of empty tables. There is also some illusion that the table hog may actually buy something to eat or drink. However, after 6PM, they need the tables and want the table hogs out. What I've done is setup a separate ethernet router and wireless access point. At 6PM, a Radio Shock AC powered clock timer just turns off the power to the wireless access point. No wireless and end of problem. It also solves the problem of the neighbors using the wireless after closing hours or in the morning.

Personally, I don't think it will work. What one clever 14 year old brat did was somehow save the router configuration, probably before Dad forgot to apply a password or using the "user" login instead of the "admin" login. He would sneak downstairs and punch the reset button. That also reset the admin password to the defaults. He would then install the PPPoE login and password (same as email login and password) into the WAN settings, and surf merrily all night. When he was done, he would restore the saved config back to the router. This went on for 3 months until he got sloppy and was caught surfing late at night. The parents wanted to know how it was done and he wasn't going to cooperate. I also had no clue but made an astute guess. Figuring I already knew, he confessed and supplied the missing details.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You can use a tool called "Enuff" - controls access to the whole PC and or the internet only. do a google for it.

Reply to
Doz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.