Limiting connection scope

I'm looking for a workstation product that can be used to limit, under administrator control, which hosts a workstation can connect to. Windows firewall and alternatives are all user-oriented, and concerned with protection when Internet browsing, and so don't answer this problem - although some provide outbound filtering, none of them appear capable of preventing user interaction with the firewall function. This workstation is located on a network, boundaried by a firewall, and is to be used for connecting to one system only, in a DMZ. It must be prevented from connecting to other hosts within or outside the network. Anyone have suggestions?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee
Loading thread data ...

Take the packet filter in Windows' kernel.

You don't need a product at all for this purpose. Just modify the routing table, and have a single host route to this box only.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks Volker, but I don't think this will achieve what I'm looking for. We want to prevent a workstation from connecting to any hosts other than the intended one. Isn't the routing table dynamic? Even if we edit it, won't it get re-written?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

If you don't have routing protocols: no.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

assuming the workstation is not running OSPF or RIP or other dynamic routing protocol, then no, it is not really dynamic. (OK< It CAN change if it gets an ICMP redirect sent to it, but how likely is that?)

So for instance, (assuming it is a windows box) and you want to blackhole all connections to 192.168.xx.xx local nets, you could do something like "route add 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 "

Reply to
snertking

Can be disabled easily.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

But unlikely enough that I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
snertking

Ipsec policies will do that for you. Setup the filters so your workstation can only connect to one destination.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

On Fri, 5 May 2006 09:27:39 +1000, Wayne spoketh

If there's Domain Authentication involved, remember to allow connections to a DC and DNS server.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Does that require connection via Ipsec to those services?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Try reading the following:

formatting link
Wayne

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

Thanks Wayne. :-)

Reply to
nog

Thanks everyone for your responses to this.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.