Slowdown on wireless network.

Are both your computers connected via wireless. Do some troubleshooting. Plug one of them directly into your WRT54G router with an ethernet cable and see if you still have the same problem. If so, then it's not the wireless.

I don't trust your unspecified ISP to proved remote diagnostics for your home LAN. Assuming you're running Windoze XP, run: Start -> Run -> cmd tracert

formatting link
You should see about 30msec (or less) latency between your system and the ISP's gateway. Additional delays beyond the ISP's gateway should also be visible. Look for packet loss:
formatting link
A more common problem is that you have a worm that is generating considerable local traffic. This should be visible with the flashing lights on your WRT54G. If you see excessive and almost continuous traffic, disinfect your PC from whatever it has caught.

If you're problem appears to be wireless related, try changing channels at the WRT54G. You may have a new neighbor or municipal installation that has recently appeared and does not show on your site survey tool because they took some "expert" advice and turned off SSID broadcasting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I've tried restarting all equipment, and my ISP says there are no delays between them and my cable router. But for the last two days, my web browsing, email and other things have slowed to a crawl. Happening on 2 computers, a mac and xp laptop.

I have a Linksys WRT54G upstairs with a powerline connection to the Linksys WAP 54G. Signal to WAP is excellent.

Any ideas? I have turned off WEP to WAP for testing. No other SSID's appear in the neighborhood except my own.

Jeff ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Hi Jeff, Thanks. I don't use my WIN XP laptop for anything but checking my own websites, no emails, and I have protection :-) I did contact my ISP again by phone because I've been seeing this lag get worse and worse over the last

2 months. Finally, they are seeing a problem when they ping their cable modem directly before it reaches my computer, so they are now thinking it is on their end. It may either be in their cable, their mode, or something in their lines. I was going crazy trying to diagnose this on my end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

If your ISP can see latency and packet loss problems, so can you from your computah. Run "tracert" as previously described.

Your cable modem probably has an internal web server capeable of dispensing diagnostics. I don't want to go into what to look for because you apparently did try running any of my suggested diagnostics.

I can't tell who's your ISP, but methinks their web pile might have some cable modem troubleshooting tips. Whenever I deal with cable modem issues at my customer, it commonly appears to be a problem with splitters, insufficient signal levels, amplifiers, wiring, bad crimps, chewed coax, couplers, and return path ingres. If you're not confident that your installation is functional, try disconnecting the entire house from the cable, and just connecting the cable modem with a direct connection. If that works, it's your problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

They came out yesterday {Amstrong Cable} and checked all the lines, but could not find any problem on the lines with packet loss or traceroutes. The problem is intermittent, and while it was happening in the AM it wasn't when they got here. They gave me a new modem, just in case, and I've not had any problems since then. Will be able to tell if I continue without problems for a few weeks, then we got it. Thanks Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.