time synchronization problem on WRT54GS home network: why?

Can you give your opinion as whether my time synchronization problem is a router problem, a network/isp problem, a bios problem or OS problem.

I have a WRT54GS linksys router, a Windows PC and a thinkpad dual boot laptop (linux/windows).

Here's the problem: the time on my machines always seems to be 2 hours off. Yes, I've set and reset the time within the OS, but at some point it always regresses to the wrong time (usually two hours behind).

Also, I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure the time in bios on my Windows PC was correct. (I need to verify).

At first, I thought the problem was a WIndows-specific (or maybe a bios-specific) problem until I found that my 2nd system --a laptop-- was displaying the exact same problem, whether it is in Linux or Windows. I seem to recall that the event log mentioned some time problems (which I probably could look up), but the fact that it's happening on my linux laptop makes me dismiss OS-specific issues. Not to complicate things unnecessarily, but when I temporarily added another xp PC a few months ago, it always had the correct time; why is that?

Please note that my router configuration program (via the web browser) shows the correct time. Also, aside from setting the time zone, there is no option that might suggest that it is searching some third party source for time syncronization.

That leaves two possibilities:

a)my router is causing the synchronization problems b)maybe there is some ISP related problems, or maybe there is some problem with whatever time server my router is trying to synchronize with.

(Actually there is a third possibility: the possibility that my 700 sq foot apartment is in the middle of a rupture in the space-time continuum, but I'll leave that aside for now).

In my router, I have the latest bios installed Firmware Version : v4.70.6 , and the newsgroups and linksys support forums doesn't seem to have any mention of this kind of problem.

Does anybody have suggestions about how to diagnose/solve this kind of problem? Am I correct in assuming that the problem MUST be with my router? If it is a Windows-only problem, why then would the problem be replicated on my linux-laptop?

Robert Nagle Houston, Texas

formatting link

Reply to
idiotprogrammer
Loading thread data ...

"idiotprogrammer" hath wroth:

What time zone are you in?

Sounds like you have daylight savings time set in BOTH the BIOS and the operating system.

It doesn't matter for Windoze XP. It has a built in NTP client that queries time.microsoft.com. This is not the most reliable time server on the planet. You might want to change it to something in the NTP server pool at:

formatting link
Also, check your "Regional Options" in the Windoze control panel. That can also mangle the time.

Hmmm... Do you have both the Linux and Windoze boxes pointing to the WRT54G as an NTP server? I don't think the stock Linksys firmware supports an NTP server, although the alternative firmware certainly does.

Because it was pointing to time.microsoft.com and not the router.

Careful here. What the router displays and what NTP delivers may be quite different depending on TZ settings. Most often, it delivers UTC, and the client compensates for time zones and daylight savings time.

The usual troubleshooting proceedures:

1. Check your assumptions.
  2. Check your settings.
  3. Read the log files.
  4. If all else fails, reset to defaults and start over.

Assumption is the mother of all screwups. No, it's not necessarily your router. It can be multiple problems including your choice of TZ string, daylight savings time settings, BIOS time settings, Region Options, NTP server, etc. Point your clients at a real NTP server, don't use the NTP server in the router if offered, and live happily ever after.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ok, I did a bit more research (probably should have done this before I asked the question).

Turns out the two windows machines were set at pacific time (and I'm on central time).

I know I never did this. I selected the option to synchronize with a non-MS server and update now. That seemed to fix it. Not sure why it reverted to pacific time, unless it was reverting to local settings when it couldn't access the time server.

On the linux laptop, i told it to look for a time-server, and that fixed it. (Update: NO, it did not. I fixed it on a onetime basis, but the service failed at start up).

So I'm good for now.

The bios doesn't have any setting for daylight savings, but I notice in windows you have that option.

If you enable this option in the time/date tab on windows, does this override the NTP time?

Another question which I should look into is whether the linksys router is blocking these synchronization checks. Not sure whether I need to open a port for that.

Thanks for the ideas. That's definitely gotten me started.

Robert Nagle Houston, Texas

formatting link

Reply to
idiotprogrammer

Naw. It's more fun to beat your head against the wall for hours before doing some reading. Besides, it's bad form to admit that you need to read the manual.

That was step one. Check your assumptions and settings. That which is most obviously correct, beyond any need of checking, is usually the problem.

Ummm... right. Setting just change by themselves. If you suspect your computer is haunted or infested with setting changing poltergeists, perhaps an exhorism will help.

Troubleshooting NTP:

formatting link
is probably not configured or trashed.

Some do, some don't. I usually leave the BIOS daylight settings time off and let the OS deal with daylight savings time. I got a bit tired of finding my clock change by 2 hours instead of one when both the bios and the OS jugggle the time.

XP seems smart enought to deal with it. The default setup is to have the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings changes" box checked.

Port 123 is the required port. Unless you're running a public time server, you don't need to do any tweaking for outgoing ports. As usual, Microsoft has bugs. See:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It does? How do you enable it? I want to make my router my time source for my network in the 'worst' sort of way but have been unable to do it. DD-WRT seems to only have the client demon, not the server installed.

Well I disagree, once you have a single source on the network getting the correct time (like the router) will keep your 'extra' computers from adding to the traffic load on the ntp server you select. Ask it once with one computer and share the results with the others...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

If it has ntpd, it has an NTP server. You'll find it as /sbin/ntpd along with /etc/ntpd.conf as the configuration file.

I've never tried to setup mine as an NTP relay server. I may need to do that soon because I have a customer with a mess of SIP phones that wants to keep the log files in sync without relying on any connections between the clients and the interknot. The phones have no real time clock so they need to get the time from somewhere. So, I need a local NTP server.

How to setup an NTP server with Linux: |

formatting link
but not the same as the DD-WRT setup. I couldn't find anything on the DD-WRT wiki. Looks simple enough. I'll probably have to start ntpd with a script: |
formatting link
I don't really want to mess with the configuration on my office WRT54G, but I have a spare WRT54G that should work. Maybe later in the week.

FAQ: |

formatting link
Chrony allegedly fits and works on WRT54G. |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, thanks for your help.

BTW, No, I certainly didn't set the Pacific time zone! Not even by mistake! It's a windows gremlin.

rj

Reply to
idiotprogrammer

Its the default setting.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.