Network Time (Newbie Q)

We have a network of about 20 computers on a domain - all running WinXP or 2k. The owner has asked about synchronizing their times (in general, not to the millisecond), and I'm rather clueless on the subject ( I didn't set up the network, and the admin is kinda clueless too).

I tried using a "/net time //[server] /set /yes" batch file in the startup folder, but it occasionally locked-up the computer or disabled access to shared drives etc.

Is there some simple way of doing this? Does the "Windows Time" service running in XP and 2k manage this itself?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reply to
Hunter
Loading thread data ...

In a 2k active directory domain, the machines that are members of the domain should be synching time with the domain controller that it authenticates to. Nothing should need to be done on your part at all.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Google for 'ntp' there is lot's of software and free servers "out there"

There is also a newsgroup "comp.protocols.time.ntp" where all you never needed to know about ntp is discussed :-)

Reply to
phn

Thank you both very much!

Reply to
Hunter

There are a couple of ways. XP (not sure about W2000) can get it's time from an ntp server. Also, if you've got a domain server, it can be used to set the time of all computers logging into the domain.

Reply to
James Knott

The problem is finding time, to join another news group. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.