John Gruber on the recent wireless hack

John Gruber's latest Daring Fireball column deals with the story, as it exists so far, of the wireless security vulnerability announced at the recent Black Hat conference.

In his conclusion, Gruber speculates that the oddities of the announcement and demo had their origins in a mistaken assumption that a security flaw in FreeBSD extended to Apple's Mac OS X driver. In the absence of more information, this seems the most likely explanation, especially considering Maynor's reported statement three weeks ago that some demos "weren't panning out".

Reply to
Neill Massello
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 03:19:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in :

Again:

(or )

The Black Hat Wireless Exploit Interview, Verbatim -Brian Krebs on Computer Security

I've been asked this many times, so let me make this crystal clear: I had the opportunity to see a live version of the demo Maynor gave to a public audience the next day. In the video shown at Black Hat, he plugged a third-party USB wireless card into the Macbook -- but IN THE DEMO MAYNOR SHOWED ME PERSONALLY, HE EXPLOITED THE MACBOOK WITHOUT ANY THIRD-PARTY WIRELESS CARD PLUGGED IN.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.