Atheros responds to supposed wireless hack

Brian Krebs of the Washington Post reports receiving the following statement from Bill McFarland of Atheros:

"Atheros has not been contacted by SecureWorks and Atheros has not received any code or other proof demonstrating a security vulnerability in our chips or wireless drivers used in any laptop computers. We believe SecureWorks' modified statement and the flaws revealed in its presentation and methodology demonstrates only a security vulnerability in the wireless USB adapter they used in the demo, not in the laptop's internal Wi-Fi card."

Reply to
Neill Massello
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:54:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in :

Part of what you snipped:

A number of news outlets and blogs have picked up on these various statements and clarifications, but nowhere have I seen this tidbit: Apple's Fox said that prior to the Black Hat demo, SecureWorks did contact Apple about a wireless flaw in FreeBSD, the open-source code upon which Apple's OS X operating system is based. In January, FreeBSD released a patch to fix the problem, which according to the accompanying advisory, related to a flaw in the way FreeBSD systems scanned for wireless networks that could be exploited to allow attackers to take complete control over the targeted machine.

I looked through the last eight months of patches from Apple and could not find any evidence that it also shipped an update to correct this flaw. Fox said she would check with Apple and get back to me. Fox also said Apple staff were already aware of the flaw when SecureWorks contacted them about it prior to their Black Hat presentation, and that Apple had already determined that the wireless flaw addressed in the FreeBSD patch was not exploitable on any of the Mac products.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.