Is there any way of forcing it to Acquire Network Address?

ipconfig /renew

formatting link

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, find out the router/AP's IP address range, then assign your network adaptor an IP address in that range (one that won't get used by anyone else).

You might also want to run winsockXPfix.exe (Google for it) and repair your TCP stack.

Reply to
__spc__

Yes it will work on XP and other Windows Version.

First try only ipconfig and you will have a list of your interfaces with thier IP addresses and subnets

then you have other options to /release ip or /renew etc. as listed in the microsoft docs mentioned earlier.

regards,

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Well as David Taylor say, it is better that you assign your computer with a static IP address.

You will need to contact your neighbour about the DHCP range on his router so you can choose a reserve IP on same subnet outside that range.

regards

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Well it depends on the router setup. you need to ask the guy providing you with wireless connection.

No problem, you can ask any question here.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Ok here is a link on how to configure your static IP on an XP OS:

formatting link

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

My neighbour's WiFi, to which I connect using the network key he has given me (and slip him a tenner every month), sometimes is so hard to get onto.

The signal strength is almost always good, more often than not very good, sometimes even excellent, and connects at 11 Mbps speed. Uses WEP encryption, and I have his Network key. I have it all set to connect automatically.

But sometimes it's hard to acquire the address!

You can be sitting there looking at that little TVscreen with the three green brackets, waiting for it to flash and say Acquiring Network Address. Once that happens, I'm on and rarely booted off.

However, sometimes it's so stubborn. It won't connect. I go to "Choose a wireless network" where I see his network with at least four of the green panpipe thingies lit up (very good signal), and set to "Automatic". If I double click on it or click on connect, this does not make it acquire the network address... it just tries to connect and after about 15 seconds goes back to Automatic. But not to Connected.

When this happens I've tried everything, from Repairing the connection, to reentering the network key, anything. Moving my little DLink antenna. Rebooting the PC.... But when it gets stubborn like this it just won't work. The signal stays strong, it just won't actually connect, even if you hit connect.

Eventually, it decides to "Acquire the network address" and then I go straight in.

Is there any way of enforcing it to Acquire the network address? Some DOS command I could use or something? Last night I really wanted to use it and it took 2 hours until I managed to get on. It's a complete PITA.

Some of you will probably say that that's WiFi/Dlink for you, but I could understand it if I got a s**te signal. But if I get a good or very good signal, and I click on Connect (although it is meant to connect automatically) I cannot see why it doesn't say AHA My master wants to connect, I'm going to acquire a network address for him and connect. Instead I have this pantomime.

Any thoughts or help gratefully appreciated.

TRISTÁN

Reply to
Tristán White

Just assign a static IP address and be done with it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thank you!! I'll try that next time!

Reply to
Tristán White

Thank you... I'll try it all out.

Ta

Reply to
Tristán White

I don't know why it does that though, i've experienced the same thing but only with a low signal. Difficulty in obtaining an address yet once I have one, it'll stay connected rock solid.

Very odd. David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Actually, will that work on XP??

Reply to
Tristán White

absolutely but it's still going to be more effective to configure a static address :)

Reply to
David Taylor

HI - which is it then? outside the range (Aljuhani), or inside the range (__spc__)?

Sorry, I'm a newbie at wifi....

Reply to
Tristán White

Thanks, I'll pop in tonight to my neighbour and find out.

Reply to
Tristán White

Ok then if that what he wants, you will need to stay dynamic but since you are talking about 4 wifis being detected, I guess your problem is something to do with XP keeps switching between connections.

There is of course away to configure your default connection and ignore others.

regards.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Fully agree with you but I was thinking to go along with such mentality and not to cause problems to someone that expected a help from us here.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

May have to rethink this. He's told me that it's not advisable for him to give out a static ip address as we live on a busy road with lots of neighbours. As it is, from my house, I can normally see about 3 other wifis...

Reply to
Tristán White

Meaningless because *anyone* can configure their machine statically and I'd hope he's not relying on an IP address as the only security?!!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

That's the joke, he doesn't, he can *still* configure his machine with a static IP address. You can bet that the friend doesn't have 254 hosts on the network and that the IP range isn't limited. Just see what IP address was offered in the DHCP lease and pick something say 50 higher or lower.

High likelihood that it will work just fine, affect nothing and his friend can't stop him setting that IP address anyway without ownership of the machine.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.