Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

For a long time, the only Apple approved utility suitable of analyzing WiFi was the Apple Airport Utility app:

formatting link
Note the 3.0 out of 5 rating. One theory is that by forcing iPhone users to use the Airport Utility for everything WiFi, Apple can turn it into an effective sales tool for the now defunct Airport base stations.

Click on "Version History" on the above page. The last update was Oct

2019, so the app isn't quite ready for burial. However, it's interesting that there were several firmware updates that coincided with IOS updates, suggesting compatibility problems between the iPhone and the various Airports. I was marginally involved in one of those, where early iPhones and would fail to connect or stay connected to non-Airport wireless routers. Apple was contacted and refused to fix what they perceived was everyone else's problem. So, there was a flurry of router firmware updates to fix the timing problems Apple had introduced. I don't have all the dates and details handy and really don't want to spend the time getting involved in yet another endless debate.

Meanwhile, Apple seems to have relented a little on allowing WiFi Analyzer type programs. For example:

formatting link
formatting link
There are others.

I burned about 30 minutes looking through other network tools on the App Store (because I don't do much work on Apple products and am very out of date as to what apps are available). I couldn't find anything that offered access to Layer 2 (MAC layer) data as would be needed to do network hardware analysis. There are plenty of Layer 3 (IP layer) tools such as ping, traceroute, and other basics, but these are trivial compared to what is available for Android, Windoze, MacOS and of course, Linux.

For example, Network Signal Info Pro will display most everything I need to untangle cellular provisioning errors and display what the WiFi chip is doing:

formatting link

LTE Discovery will show far more than I want to know about the available LTE sites and services including 5G sites:

formatting link

Cellular-Z will display quite a bit about the connected cell sites and WiFi routers:

formatting link

Apple has a long way to go before I consider an iPhone or iPad as a serious tool for network troubleshooting.

Drivel: I spent half of Saturday and half of today moving and stacking 1/2 cord of firewood to my house. Monday and Tuesday will be more of the same. If there are any questions, it may be a few days before I recover. Right now, my right side aches. Tomorrow, I'm certain the other 1/2 will also ache.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure I wrote that? That would be a difficult claim for me to make. The last iPhone I owned was an iPhone 3G. The last iPad was an iPad 2. I never tried using either with any OBD-II BT device, including those owned by customers. Mostly, I've used various OBD-II BT devices on a variety of Android, Windoze, ChromeOS, and Linux computahs. I will confess that I did help a friend reset his engine warning light and record the codes using his iPhone 4 and one of my OBD-II dongles. However, that was so long ago that I don't recall if I had any problems or if I was successful. Probably successful because I tend to remember the problems and forget the successes.

Also, if I had claimed that something "works better", I would have provided comparisons, details, and examples. I always do that.

Incidentally, I consider iPhones and Android phones to be rather similar at the user level. Perhaps as much as 90% similar if I don't explore the architecture and details. Apple and Google have been borrowing each other's ideas for a long time. As evidence, I've noticed that it's not very difficult for an iPhone user to quickly learn how to use an Android phone. The reverse is also true. The only thing that's really different are the names of the various functions and how deeply Apple and Google bury them in their menu systems. Extra credit to vendors, such as Sumsung, that add proprietary enhancements to help lock in their customers who don't want to learning too much that's new.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Obviously he is not familiar with Android devices, and believes that something that Android devices have done for years, automatically launching an app when if connects to Bluetooth.

It would be very expensive to ship all the materials necessary, and he would be unlikely to understand any of it anywat.

Reply to
sms

A few years ago, IIRC - not that it's really relevant.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com asked

Jeff, You don't appear to know these Apple zealot cultists like Jolly Roger, Everything they claim is fabricated.

They can't ever back up even a single claim they brazenly make.

Why? I'm not sure why.

It seems they're desperate to defend the religious belief systems Apple advertising inculcated into their brains, sans a single actual fact.

They are like trying to understand why a flat earther is what he is. They only believe what Tim Cooks tells them to believe on the Apple site.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

This YourName idiot is one of those Apple weirdos?

Reply to
Jerry

that was not a very good deal, and without btle, it's very outdated.

if it turns itself off after 30 minutes, then there's no need for a button (plus it's very inconvenient to use) and the quiescent draw is negligible and not normally an issue either.

i bought an obd adapter with btle for $10 a few years ago. it works great without any issues. no idea who made it. they're fairly generic although some are definitely junk.

there are more advanced obd adapters and apps available, for those who want additional features.

i also have several other obd adapters. one in particular is a custom obd device used for a very specific purpose, with custom software.

Reply to
nospam

that's not a very good theory. quite bad, in fact.

two different tracks by two different groups within apple.

very marginally, since there i can't think of any issue with early iphones and non-apple routers, something which would be *very* widespread if it existed.

i still have my old iphones and various routers so any specifics would be of interest.

i do recall a minor issue with the original ipad with only *some* wifi networks, which turned out to be a configuration issue of the affected wifi networks. the ipads worked normally just about everywhere else.

wise choice.

then don't pretend to know more about apple products than those who actually use apple products every day and have for many years.

in another post, you said the last iphone you had was *thirteen*

*years* *ago, with an iphone 3g. a *lot* has changed since then. there is almost nothing about an iphone 3g that is relevant anymore.

stick to networking and radios.

Reply to
nospam

they don't, except in very limited circumstances. btdt. as usual, you are wrong.

bluetooth is one of many things that ios does better than android. it's just how it is. i've written apps that use bluetooth and am *very* familiar with what's possible and what's not, on both platforms.

there are also some things that android does better than ios. however, bluetooth ain't one of them.

Reply to
nospam

Jeff knows more electronics than fifty of you Jolly Rogers' will ever know. He has a self deprecating sense of wit, much like Paul on the Windows ng.

All you Apple idiots are so stupid you can't believe that it's only you five or six morons who believe only what Apple posts on the Apple web site.

You lied to Jeff and you expected to get away with it because you think everyone is as stupid as you five or six Apple morons are.

Reply to
Ilya Kraskov

nospam snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid asked

You're desperate to defend the crippled iOS using always the _same_ tricks.

We see nospam following the predictable path in increasing desperation...

1. First claim he told the user already many times (even as it's impossible).
  2. When that fails, claim imaginary functionality on the Apple App Store.
  3. When that fails, say everyone else made Apple remove basic functionality
  4. When that fails, say it's not Apple's fault - it's the developers' fault.
  5. When that fails, say you should write all the app functionality yourself.
  6. When that fails, accuse everyone of being stupid who isn't a developer.
  7. When that fails, resort to an infinity of "ftfy" & ad hominem attacks.

All this because he _hates_ *to own an iPhone is to own a crippled device*.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

In the definition of nospam, Lewis, Jolly Roger and Joerg Lorenz, you must only play games on your phone. You must not debug anything. No utilities.

Since they can't do it on an iPhone, you have no right to do it on Android.

Reply to
knuttle

And yet you've never found even _one_ app functionality on iOS that wasn't already on Android, even as there is _plenty_ of Android app functionality not on iOS (such as foss automatic call recording, foss graphical wifi debugging, the real tor browser bundle security, foss system wide firewalls, choice of foss app launchers, etc.).

The reason Apple devices are crippled is only one reason. Apple cripples them.

It's not the hardware (although Apple removes most of the basic hardware). It's not even the operating system per se (although it has holes galore).

The reason Apple iOS devices are crippled compared to Android is simple. Apple limits the functionality of iOS devices while Google can't.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

Same thing happened when Apple screwed up all Linux connections to iOS. That was sometime around iOS 7.0.1 as I recall (not gonna look it up as the iOS bigots will just deny what everyone else but them already knows).

Apple f***ed with the API and then claimed it was Linux' problem. Why? Because Apple doesn't give a f*ck about Linux. So Apple broke connectivity of Linux to iOS without even testing it once.

*The Apple operating systems _never_ actually work in the real world.*

Luckily, after a flurry of activity, the Linux folks fixed Apple's shit. The result was again Linux is more functional with the iPad than iTunes.

Native Ubuntu has read/write/delete access to iOS file system. It treats the iOS device as a read/write/delete USB stick.

Apple probably hates that people have that kind of functionality though.

Reply to
wolfgang kern

You don't know anything about iPhones, nospam.

*You fabricate imaginary iOS functionality all the time, nospam.*

Where's the real torproject tor browser you keep claiming exists, nospam? Where are the wifi graphical debuggers you keep claiming exist, nospam? Where are the encryption container tools you keep claiming exist, nospam? Where are the automatic call recorder tools you keep claiming exist, nospam? Where are the system wide foss firewalls you keep claiming exist, nospam? Where are the fake gps spoofing apps you keep claiming work, nospam? Where are the true ad free youtube clones you keep claiming work, nospam? Where are the historical IPA backup tools you keep fabricating, nospam?

Why do you incessantly prove to not even have a clue about how iOS works? I don't know why.

I suspect you get everything you know about iPhones from Apple's web site.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

yet another arlen nym.

linux support was done by the linux community, not apple.

when apple made a change, the linux community had to update their driver, which they did, just as what happens with any product that has aftermarket support.

Reply to
nospam

Now you're just repeating yourself. And nym switching is lame. *YAWN*

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Apple doesn't support the main operating systems in use today. Specifically Apple doesn't test their changes that affect linux.

It's one more example of Apple products not working in the real world. Apple products only work well inside an Apple-made artificial walled garden.

Reply to
wolfgang kern

Jolly Roger snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com asked

Jolly Roger lied to you Jeff. Just like Apple always lies about their battery use time.

Apple probably lies like crazy about their Airport Router signal strength. (Yes, I know full well you've studied that stuff in great detail. All lie.)

But still... it seems that *Nobody lies like Apple lies* in terms of size. (Apple paid over a billion dollars last year alone for their public lies.)

And yet, all these lies only hold if nobody checks up on their many lies.

Nobody can ever reproduce the lies from Jolly Roger or Apple. They assume we're too stupid to check up on what they brazenly make up.

The fact is Jolly Roger just made up the price out of nothing. Jolly Roger probably doesn't even own the device, nor did he ever.

Jolly Roger assumed you wouldn't check up on his lies. The real question is why do these Apple apologists brazenly lie?

Are they really that stupid? Or are they just desperate to defend Apple at all costs?

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

yes they do, that being macos and windows.

linux on the desktop is *not* common, no matter what linux users might think.

linux is commonly used for servers or embedded devices, neither of which need iphone support.

there's no reason why they should since linux isn't a supported system.

lots of companies don't support linux, including camera makers, wearable devices and much more.

the linux community normally creates its own support for such devices, with varying degrees of success (usually not particularly good).

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.