Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

Here is a chart produced by WiFi Analyzer:

formatting link
. Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?
formatting link
that gives you a scan of Wi-Fi networks and channels being used so you can choose channels that avoid interference with your neighbors' networks?

I saw one app, called NetSpot

formatting link
that appeared to do the same thing but then they tell you that you need to buy a "WiPry 2500x" and connect it to the iPhone via USB in order to do the scanning, and that device is $649.97 (it's essentially a dual band spectrum analyzer). There must be some similar app to the Android WiFi Analyzer App for iOS that doesn't require any external equipment but I could not find it. Unless there's some prohibition on such an app by Apple.

Reply to
sms
Loading thread data ...

nospam is wrong of course?.

nospam's? excuse doesn't make a lot of sense given that Apple actually sells the Wi-Fi Explorer App in the Mac Store. Such an App would certainly be more useful, for multiple reasons, on an iPhone or iPad. And it could be a paid app since it's so useful.

nospam's? excuse also doesn't make a lot of sense given that such an app used to be available on the iOS App store and was removed, apparently because changes to the API made it no longer possible for apps to access the necessary data.

Considering that the iPhone's own AirPort Utility App shows you all the Wi-Fi networks that it can see (28 different ones from my couch), and a numerical value of the signal strength, allowing a third-party app to take all that data and present it in more graphical and usable form, would not appear add any piracy risk.

Reply to
sms

apple didn't write that app nor did they pay anyone to do so.

a third party developer did.

you also have *no* idea how many downloads it's had.

just because something is on the mac app store doesn't mean it's a top seller (hint: it isn't).

but if you think such an app would be 'so useful' then go learn how to write apps, release it to the masses and then post your un-doctored sales data.

at a minimum, that would keep you busy enough to not troll, and an additional benefit is you would also learn just how incredibly wrong your bogus 'list' of 'features' actually is, not that anything would change.

that was a decade ago.

apis change from year to year and developers can choose to update their apps for new apis if they deem it worthwhile. many of them do, but not all.

if an app is not profitable and/or has few customers, then there's very little reason for a developer to continue working on it.

this is not unique to apple. lots of windows and android apps become abandonware.

there is no piracy risk.

Reply to
nospam

nospam snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid asked

In his desperation to defend Apple's lack of functional apps on the iOS App Store nospam misses the point that very few people are so ignorant as to purchase a $15 app when there are free apps which do the same thing.

As nospam becomes increasingly desperate to defend Apple's sordid lack of functional software for the iPhone, after he is caught fabricating imaginary apps that don't exist, he'll tell you to write your own apps to do the job.

I found his list rather useful, and, in fact, I thought it credible that he added the fact there are no apps in the iOS App Store to do something so basic which, let's be clear, is on _every_ other platform _except_ iOS.

It's really only iOS that is crippled.

Why is it that I can outfit my Android phone with not only _all_ the functionality of any iOS device, but which has more app functionality than most Android users' devices, all using free apps (most of which are FOSS).

I can't outfit my iPad to do anything close to what my Android does already.

What _is_ unique to iOS is that almost always the functionality desired (in this case, wifi graphical debuggers) exists on all platforms _except_ iOS!

It really doesn't matter _why_ the iOS App Store lacks so many app functionalities that _every_ other platform has because it is what it is.

It boils down to the same fact *To own an iOS device is to own a cripple."

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

that's because you're stupid.

Reply to
nospam

Well then, tell us where iOS graphical debuggers are on the Apple App Store.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

what's stopping you from writing such an app that does exactly what you want it to do?

other than the fact that you're incapable of leaning how, which just means you would need to hire people who can.

Reply to
nospam

We see nospam following the predictable path in increasing desperation...

1. First claim the imaginary functionality exists on the Apple App Store.
  2. When that fails, say everyone else made Apple remove the functionality.
  3. When that fails, say it's not Apple's fault - it's the developers' fault.
  4. When that fails, say you should write all the app functionality yourself.
  5. When that fails, accuse everyone telling the truth of being stupid.
  6. What's coming up is the classic "ftfy" kindergarten rant from nospam.

All this because nospam _hates_ *to own an iPhone is to own a crippled OS*.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

sms snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com asked

I think the only reason people like nospam are arguing that nobody needs any wifi or cellular graphical debugging tools is that iOS is the _only_ consumer platform that completely lacks graphical radio debugging tools.

*People like nospam _hate_ that to own an iPhone is to own a crippled OS.*

What's nice on Android is the ability to spoof your GPS location (which can move as you set it to) via commonly available free ad free FOSS apps such as

formatting link
In Android settings you simply set the GPS location to that fake app by default, which you can instantly pause when you really need correct GPS.

Again, this functionality is _impossible_ to do with iOS, yet again proving what we knew all along which is that *to own iOS is to own a crippled OS*.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

that's a separate piece of hardware, which is not free.

but at least you admit that android can't do what you falsely claimed it could.

Reply to
nospam

In your desperation to excuse the fact that iOS is the _only_ platform that has zero wifi graphical debugging tools, you're now fabricating that I said that Android has a full spectrum analysis (which I never even once said).

*You're so desperate, that this is essentially your "ftfy" attempt.*

It means you're almost at the end of your methods to excuse that you hate iOS not having any of the basic functionality all other platforms have.

1. First claim the imaginary functionality exists on the Apple App Store.
  2. When that fails, say everyone else made Apple remove the functionality.
  3. When that fails, say it's not Apple's fault - it's the developers' fault.
  4. When that fails, say you should write all the app functionality yourself.
  5. When that fails, accuse everyone telling the truth of being stupid.
  6. What's coming up is the classic "ftfy" kindergarten rant from nospam.

All this because nospam _hates_ iOS doesn't have even basic functionality.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

You have a point that the verb we use could change depending on the purpose.

As an example, you might simply be curious what Wi-Fi networks are in the area and at what strength and how they're changing over time, particularly as you move among obstacles or up and down floors within any given building.

Despite people like nospam claiming that iOS owners don't need no stinking graphical wifi analysis tools, there are _many_ reasons to use wi-fi graphical analysis tools (which is why they exist on all other platforms).

formatting link

This article says they're especially useful for determining router range.

formatting link
I doubt nospam can understand what they said, but for the others, they said "Even though your router is advertised to have a certain range, you can't expect the range to be the same in every direction.

This presents a problem: How can you know where's the best place to install your router if the signal distribution isn't even? The answer is simple: You use a WiFi analyzer tool"

*Of all the consumer operating systems, only iOS is crippled this way.*
Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

Tell us nospam, how do you know where best to position your router?

How again does the router know the best position to be in your house?

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

You also use those apps to determine if you need to put in a second router. I have a Wi-FI router in an upstairs closet with my cable modem, but the signal was not strong enough downstairs. I ended up running some CAT 6 cable through the upstairs attic then through the downstairs attic to second Wi-Fi router that serves downstairs. Of course I'm in Silicon Valley where most of my neighbors are engineers and know how to do all this themselves.

Reply to
sms

nope. to determine that, one only needs to notice that there's a weak signal at one end of the house. no app required.

should that happen, simply get a second router and configure both so that devices can roam between them (very easy, again, no app needed).

better yet, use a mesh unit which will do everything *for* you, some of which can dynamically adjust the signal based on current demands, such as if everyone is in one room at the same time and the other end of the house is empty.

maybe you can ask one of them to help you, given that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.

Reply to
nospam

Of course the graphical wifi debugging apps are useful, as are all the utilities that Android has which iOS lacks because it's a toy OS after all.

They wouldn't exist on _all_ other platforms if they weren't useful to many! What's interesting is that _only_ iOS lacks these graphical debugging utils.

*It's yet more evidence that to own an iPhone is to own a crippled phone.*
Reply to
Robin Goodfellow
<snip>

Yeah, our favorite trolls can insist that such apps are not needed, but the reality is that they are available on Android, Linux, MacOS, and Windows, so clearly people are using them. But I guess that no Android, Linux, MacOS, or Windows users fall into the "ordinary user" category, LOL.

Reply to
sms

Why are you so desperate to defend what is obvious to all but you cultists?

Everything you say in your desperation to defend Apple at all costs just sounds silly when you realize you'll say ANYTHING to defend Apple's flaws.

You are literally suggesting buying MORE DEVICES because your beloved iPhone can't do even the simplest of the most basic of wifi debugging tasks.

This is the Apple way.

1. Apple ships a device that is crippled.
  2. So that the customer has to buy back what Apple didn't supply.
  3. Meanwhile, _every_ operating system except iOS has this capability.

As you get increasingly desperate to defend the crippled iOS operating system, you resort to more and more childish responses, given you've run out of your typical ploys long ago.

1. First claim that you told the user how to do it (and yet that's a lie).
  2. When that fails, claim the imaginary functionality exists on the Apple App Store.
  3. When that fails, say everyone else made Apple remove the functionality.
  4. When that fails, say it's not Apple's fault - it's the developers' fault.
  5. When that fails, say you should write all the app functionality yourself.
  6. When that fails, accuse everyone telling the truth of being stupid.
  7. What's coming up are the classic "ftfy" & ad hominem rants from nospam.

All this because nospam _hates_ *to own an iPhone is to own a crippled OS*.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow
<snip>

nospam is wrong of course?.

Well of course you could take the approach of wildly adding more and more wireless routers, without knowing where the dead spots actually are or where there is interference from nearby wireless routers, but that would be an exceedingly stupid thing to do, so it's not surprising that nospam would think that this is a good idea.

It's like a car mechanic who wildly replaces components because they lack the skill or equipment to properly diagnose a problem, i.e. "let's try replacing your $1500 computer, that might fix the problem, oh, that didn't work, maybe it's the $2000 catalytic converter, oh that didn't work, maybe it's this wire that fell off the oxygen sensor, I'll just push it back on, all fixed, you owe me $3500 for parts and $2000 for labor."

Reply to
sms

availability does not mean they're actually used by very many people.

the reality is that most people do not have any issues with using only one router unless they have an unusually large home, in which case they get a second router and link the two (very easy) or a mesh unit that does everything automatically (even easier).

no need for any apps or troubleshooting.

not only that, but the routers can automatically adjust based on current conditions, whereas a human would constantly need to be monitoring it, something they're not going to do.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.