Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<snip>

LOL. There are a lot of apps that are used only occasionally, and a lot of apps that are used on a daily basis. I use Torque Pro only right before a smog check (to ensure that the sensors have completed their readiness tests), or if the "Check Engine" light comes on; I could go more than a year between launches of that app. WiFi analyzer falls into that category as well. An extremely useful, but only occasionally needed, application. It's odd why it's not possible to have such an app on iOS anymore.

But I'm sure that nospam will appreciate your attempt to become an ordinary, regular, typical, normal, person instead of some freak that uses apps with only 10 million, versus 100 million installs.

Reply to
sms
Loading thread data ...

there are shitloads of obd apps for ios, some of which run in the background without the need to launch an app every single time, something not possible on android. i've written obd apps and am *very* familiar with what can and cannot be done.

what's odd is that you keep lying.

such an app is possible, although the apis have changed over the years, as have many other apis.

have you started learning how to write ios apps yet? maybe you can do better than 'arlen' did with his failed attempt at writing android apps.

Reply to
nospam
<snip>

Really? Where do you get your information/education? Wherever you got your information/education it needs updating to reality.

I have several apps on my Android phone that run in the background just fine. No intervention required by me.

I used to have an obd app that ran fine in the background, I no longer use it because the vehicle I use now has its own app that replaces it ( in the background ).

<snip>
Reply to
Jim Whitby

from writing mobile apps that do exactly what i described.

it's up to date.

you might be thinking about ordinary apps running in the background.

that's *not* what i'm talking about.

what i'm specifically referring to are apps that automatically connect and communicate with bluetooth devices entirely in the background, in particular, without the user needing to separately launch an app at all. this isn't specific to obd either.

the moment the bluetooth device comes within range of the user's iphone, ios will automatically auto-launch the app directly into the background if needed with no user interaction whatsoever, at which point the app starts doing whatever the app was designed to do.

this happens regardless of when the app was last launched, even if the phone has been rebooted.

android can't do that.

some of the apps might need to be used in the foreground, such as an obd app displaying fault codes, however the app is already linked and communicating long before it's launched.

Reply to
nospam

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:19:57 -0400, nospam wrote: <snip>

I almost feel sorry for you. I'm not sure if its just plain ignorance or "Don't confuse me with facts, my minds made up."

How do you think every phone (Android, Windows, ios, linux, etc) is connected to a vehicle? Magic? USB? WiFi? or ???

Give me a mailing address, I'll send you some info about electronics.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

More pure bullshit from Arlen (aka Robin Goodfellow) and his troll buddies. I've used the Carista OBD2 adapter for *years* with several different makes and model cars, using the OBD Fusion app on a bunch of different iPhone models. The FACT is not only do iPhone-compatible OBDII adapters exist, they also happen to work very well. Apple clearly does not "hate OBDII", as Arlen claims.

formatting link
formatting link

Being caught in this laughably obvious LIE, Arlen will now either refuse to acknowledge this FACT -or- he will attempt to move the goal post by attacking the Carista adapter or the OBD Fusion app.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

My BlueDriver OBD served me well on my previous car and on the current one via iPhone, so again you're out to lunch.

Reply to
Alan Browne

Yet Jeff apparently doesn't know that Bluetooth OBDII adapters (like the Carista OBD2 adapter I have) work just fine with iPhones, and have for many years, because he chimed right in to post a lame joke in agreement with incorrect claims that they don't exist from another troll. Yes, clearly he "knows more than just about anyone here"...\s

Projection.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Then you paid too much. I got mine on Amazon for $19.99.

Apparently you never bothered to try it with an iPhone, which you and your butt buddy Arlen (Robin) claim won't work.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

I mean, he literally said "Bluetooth" multiple times above. Are you blind or something?

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Perhaps read ALL THE WORDS.

Without launching them first? I doubt it. But sure, go ahead and name them.

Reply to
Lewis

You clearly have not f****ng idea what you are talking about, and I suspect you have never written an app for any platform, so most of the words up there glid past without making the slightest impression on that sorry excuse for a brain you were cursed with at birth.

Reply to
Lewis

Don't you ever get tired of spewing complete and utter horseshit?

No they are not. $20 is what I paid for one I bought as a gift for a friend, who is still using it with her car and iPhone. It might have been as much as $25. Feel free to link an OBDII monitor that costs less than US$2.50, or admit you are a lying sack of shit.

Reply to
Lewis

Well, he knows nothing about OBD2 and iOS if he's claiming it doesn't work better on iOS than on Android, that's for sure.

Reply to
Lewis

nospam snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid asked

And yet, *they don't exist on the Apple app store* - a fact you can't deny.

Why is it _only_ iOS that is crippled (but not any other operating system)? I don't know why.

Either it's that iOS owners only play games with iOS, as nospam and Jolly Roger and Lewis constantly allude to when they say "who needs debuggers?"

Or it's that Apple expressly doesn't allow the use of the functions necessary to make these tools work (which work on all other operating systems)...

Or...???

Why?

Which is it? a. iOS is a toy OS (as nospam constantly claims) b. Apple won't allow these apps on iOS c. Or ???

*Why is it _only_ iOS that is crippled* (but no other operating system)?
Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - arthur c. clarke.

Reply to
nospam

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 21:21:16 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote: <snip>

It appears I can see better than you. I was asking how if not bluetooth, how? Then he claimed apple was the only one that could do it.

Or maybe you missed the "android can't do that".

Reply to
Jim Whitby

Jolly Roger snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com asked

The more you know about iOS & android, the more you know the facts iOS is a crippled operating system that is wonderful for the ignorati.

The more well educated people know about these mRNA & mAdenovirus vaccines, compared with the fact that more than half the covid infected people have no symptoms, coupled with the damages and danger to a tiny percent of the overall population but that danger suddenly multiplies to a hugely important fatal ~4% at 65 & over, doubling at 75 or over and doubling yet again at 85 or over... and is even worse for the immunocompromised, obese, cardiac compromised, diabetic, etc., community...

The more you know... the _less_ you would tell someone else what to do (since the math is all in the probabilities and hence is immensely complex).

It seems to only be the people who know _nothing_ who are telling others whether or not to vax or whether or not to mask - which is typical.

The less these people know, the more sure they are of their opinions.

Reply to
Robin Goodfellow

look no further than yourself for proof.

Reply to
nospam

When? There's one currently selling on eBay for $19.98 shipped from China but the rest are $30 and up (including shipping and no sales tax at the time). My guess(tm) is about 4 to 6 years ago:

formatting link

Carista currently sells theirs on their web site for $29.99 plus $50/year if you want to use their app.

formatting link
There's probably some charge for shipping and sales tax.

I couldn't find it on Amazon:

formatting link

I'm using a Konnwei KW902 OBD-II adapter. I don't recall what I paid for it on eBay but I think it was about $20 including shipping with no sales tax at the time:

formatting link
However, there are problems. The ELM327 chip is v1.5 instead of the current v2.3 and it's BT 3.0. It's not BTLE compatible. It works with everything I've tried that doesn't require later versions of the ELM327 firmware or Bluetooth. Torque Pro works fine in my 2001 Subaru Forester on my Moto G Power (2020) Android phone. The best feature is that it has an on-off push button so it can be left plugged in and not run the car battery down. It also turns itself off after 30 min. I had previously purchased a variety of other cheap ELM327 devices, all of which had problems that made them useless. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.